The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm going green...sort of. (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well my plan to buy the Tesla went south when delivery date on the new auto didn't coincide with the date my Mustang developed a very expensive evaporation leak. I needed a new car so I did get get Mustang. A Roush this time.

But now that our new house is closer to Las Vegas I am purchasing a bicycle to get around on. Not back and forth to the show or anything, but to the store and places like that I like the idea.

I am not so much doing it for environmental reasons, but if I can why not right? I will probably offset this by purchasing a project car from the late 60's! But every little bit helps right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Don't go totally green. I hear Soylent Green is people. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Sardonicus
View Profile
New user
The Left Coast, USA
50 Posts

Profile of Sardonicus
That may be, but the commercial says that it's delicious. Smile
"Books break the shackles of time. A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Good move Danny. But what about that heat?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Here comes the stupid. It is a dry heat. Yep it matters. It really does. Plus I avoid the high noon part and generally I am ok.

I will take no humidity any day. We spend our lives in the extremes. About half the year in the Caribbean rain forest with 100% humidity and about half in the desert wroth 0% or so.

I like the desert because by golf drive goes way further!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
I like the desert because by golf drive goes way further!

You should see how far it goes atop a glacier.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Now THAT would be cool!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Literally.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Drink plenty of water. If you ride far I suggest a Camelbak. I used to only own a bike here in Arizona. It's not too bad; you're right about the dry heat, you get used to it.

What kind of bike are you considering? Road? Mountain? Comfort? Recumbent?
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mountain? No. Road probably. Hopefully a comfortable one.

Problem is I will get in there and get sold on whatever the guy thinks is best.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
You can go riding with Norm and Lupe Neilson. They're always velocipeding around Vegas and environs.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, Dannydoyle wrote:
Mountain? No. Road probably. Hopefully a comfortable one.

Problem is I will get in there and get sold on whatever the guy thinks is best.

I would suggest a comfort bike then- it's a cross between some of the features of a road and mostly a mountain bike. Very comfortable to ride, good tires for the southwest. And if you want to have some fun on a trail you can do it as long as it isn't something ridiculous. I used one as my commuter bike and loved it. I even had a trailer for groceries and things. Nerd alert, but it was handy.

If you're dead set on strictly a road bike just be aware that they aren't that comfortable and you run the risk of getting a numb perineum from the seat from being leaned over with your body weight on that area of your body. The perineum- well, you can look it up, but let's say a numb one can negatively affect your sex life. If you're married- no big deal, your sex life is over anyway, but this is a pretty common ailment for people that ride road bikes so make sure you get fitted properly.

One more tip for you- if you live around cactus or construction get some plastic sleeves that go between your tires and tubes and get some tubes that have Slime in them- it's a "flat fixer" goop contained within the tube. It won't prevent every flat, but it helps a lot. Or go tubeless. These preventive measures will save you lots of time and headaches in the long run.

Have fun riding!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
OK I should have figured for this PRIOR to getting the bike but wow.

NOBODY told me that the clothing you see those guys in is also functional. Has pads in the shorts and so forth. Learned THAT the hard way! LOL.

This is going to be worse than the car and the motorcycle! I will be tinkering with it and buying special tools and this is not good.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Smile Cycling can be pretty addicting.
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Band name: Numb Perineum

(Sorry, I had to.) Hahaha
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Jul 5, 2016, Race Blakhart wrote:
Band name: Numb Perineum

(Sorry, I had to.) Hahaha

Perinenumb
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
Awesome hahaha
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I'm going green...sort of. (9 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL