The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » My new table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just thought I'd share this new table I started using and have been really happy with.

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/87573?promo=search

It's not cheap and I know there are a lot of hard core DIY'ers on this forum, but it's built extremely well and ticks all the boxes for me.
I have a couple ideas to dress it up a little more which I may do eventually but it looks very classy as is for my needs.
The table is sturdier than I thought it would be and I can easily hold an hour parlor show in the attached case.
Just roll it into the gig and in 2 seconds you're ready to go, then when it's time to leave, BOOM you're out of there in a jif. You could easily set it up in front of an audience if you had to.
It's made to support a heavy 17" laptop so it can hold way more weight than I need it to. May even serve double duty as I may also use it when traveling as a carry on as well. The table top comes in handy during those extra long layovers. I guess that's really what it is made for, but you know us magicians, we never see things or use things the way they were intended.

I was about 65% sure I would end up returning it for a refund but I wanted to give it a try and was very pleasantly surprised to find it suits my needs as well as it does.
Not something you would want to perform multiplying bottles on but I've cut way down on the number of props I use these days.
I have also strapped a briefcase to the handle when in transit and then set the case on the table top for the gig. Works great.

Anyway, probably not for everyone but I'm a happy camper.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Isn't the table at a really low height to work from?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Yes, it is on the low side, 27" high. But it is almost perfect for me because I am not a very tall person (5'8") and I only need it to set props on during a routine for display or to remain in sight. I generally don't really "work" off a table per say.
It's the perfect height to set a briefcase on top and work out of that if that is your style.

I also sometimes work out of a large briefcase which is 7" high and with that on top of the table, when I close the lid it is a perfect height to work off if I need to do that.
Anyway, like I said, it fits my needs perfectly but may or may not work as well for others.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Could you do a cups and balls routine on it?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
You could, but it may be too low for that if you are tall and depends on the space requirements you're routine needs. Also, the attached suitcase bag kind of gets in the way of your feet if trying to work directly behind it. I stand a bit to the side of it.
I haven't done a C&B routine for quite sometime but if I did I would probably use a busker type table on top of a waiter's or keyboard stand.
This is really more of a side table type of thing.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Yeah the low table top does turn me off to this one. I think this is great idea to have a table tucked inside a rolling case like this. I think from a DIY piont of view it would be possible to make somethin more suited for a perfomers use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » My new table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL