The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question for you math wizards (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I'll be doing a workshop on set design at a conference in September and will have a slide of Albert Einstein drawing a set on a blackboard with the caption "Not rocket science." But, just 'cause I'm me, I want to also have "to be or not to be" as an equation on the slide. I'm thinking of something like "2b [sign for not equal] 2b." Is there a better way to say "or not" than the "not equal" sign? Thanks much.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
In set theory, the common way of abbreviating "or" looks like a capital "V" (without serifs), and the common abbreviation for "not" is a tilde (~); you want to write:

2b V ~2b

I'd probably should put parentheses around the expression.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I learned that the boolean "not" looked more like a dash with a short downward vertical stroke at the right. The tilde was used as "similar" in Geometry and as "approximately" in Algebra, to my recollection.

I remember some wags writing symbolically a sentence that read "For all upside-down As there exists a backwards E such that a backwards lower case epsilon implies an arrow." Pretty nerdy, no?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
2xb(2)=4
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
There are a few standard symbols for "not". You can use the tilde ~ or, as Opus notes, the dash with the tail. I have no idea what it's called, but it's 00AC in the Word Symbol picker (Unicode).

2b V ~2b

or

2b V 00AC 2b

(BTW, the OR symbol isn't quite the same as a text v, but without serifs, it's as close as you'll need.)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Aw shoot, I see that I repeated Bill's line. Sorry about that.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Last one, and I am not ashamed to admit that I do not fully 'get' this one.

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
The most important thing is the right chalk.

http://gizmodo.com/why-mathematicians-ar......11008881
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:

I miss chalk. Every time I write on a whiteboard, I am bothered (truly and seriously) by the fact that the marker creates toxic, non-biodegradable waste. I don't mind a bit of dust, if it's the best alternative to plastic, xylene and god knows what else.
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Geez, back in school I never knew math could be so much fun! Smile

Seriously, that's a lot more than I expected, and thank you. I'll post the final slide when I get a chance.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2016, stoneunhinged wrote:

Who made me the genius I am today?

The mathematician that others all quote.

Who's the professor that made me that way?

The greatest that ever got chalk on his coat!

- Tom Lehrer, Lobachevski
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Question for you math wizards (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL