The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hi Guys I'm back (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pete1959W
View Profile
New user
USA , Florida
17 Posts

Profile of Pete1959W
Hi Guys,
I am back. For awhile I have lost interest in magic. Is this normal? Do Other people also feel that way?
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Yes happens to most of us sometimes, sometimes we just need a little break which is ok Smile
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
It depends. If you don't perform for others regularly and you are just learning new effects and sleights for yourself then sure you can lose interest. I perform regularly every week for new people and many regulars so it's fun for me plus for the regulars I have to always come up with new material. It's a constant learning experience. Coming up on 14 years performing in restaurants and I still get excited. Are there days when I feel like just staying home? YES! But once I get to the gig the excitement kicks in.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
I have loved it from the start 45 years ago.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yup! I saw my first magician in 1938, and have NEVER lost interest. I was an amateur for a few years, and, at 13 I became (I didn't realize that for awhile!)a part time professional. In my mid 30s I "went" full time pro. I retired in 2008, at 76. I still do a few shows.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
In my six years involved, I have never lost interest, but is has skyrocketed to a new level! I have many people to thank for this, but at the top of the list is the guy above me, Dick Oslund! Smile
Blaine G
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Blaine G
Hi Pete
In my case it really isn't a matter of "losing interest." It was more like other stuff kept making itself a priority. That said, I never lost the love of magic, in particular watching others perform, reading etc, just cant always find the time to learn the newest esoteric "tricks" that seem to be a rehash of the older...
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
It happens.
I started my magic interest about 50 years ago.
After my children started being born, my priorities changed and I gave it up.
Now the kids are all married and I'm retired.
Back in the saddle again.
Ihor
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, Ollie wrote:
Yes happens to most of us sometimes, sometimes we just need a little break which is ok Smile

I just re-read this thread from the beginning. I inadvertently missed Ollie's post!

Ollie! How can you make a statement like that???????? Have you conducted a national poll????????

I STRONGLY QUESTION YOUR STATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread was started several weeks ago, and, look how few have even bothered to post a comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, Pete1959W wrote:
Hi Guys,
I am back. For awhile I have lost interest in magic.

Oh thank god! We were wondering where you went...

Quote:
Is this normal?

Things stopped being "normal" here a loooooong time ago!

Quote:
Do Other people also feel that way?

I could never lose interet in magic. It is an important art form that deserv.... OH LOOK A BUNNY!!! Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
FrankHorng
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of FrankHorng
If you find you lost interest in magic, try to find the original intent.
I "got back" many times.
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
Quote:
On Jul 25, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2016, Ollie wrote:

I just re-read this thread from the beginning. I inadvertently missed Ollie's post!

Ollie! How can you make a statement like that???????? Have you conducted a national poll????????

I STRONGLY QUESTION YOUR STATEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread was started several weeks ago, and, look how few have even bothered to post a comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SEVEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was making a general statement, from past conversations with magicians other people have felt the same, even happens to pros sometimes.
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
I know you are a pro Dick and I love your advice, I am no professional, but from what I have heard it has happened to many people, sorry for any misunderstanding.
Sari Atassi
View Profile
New user
Syria
50 Posts

Profile of Sari Atassi
Hello Pete1959W,

To tell you my personal experience
I've been studying magic for about 2.5 years (I know not a lot),
I've been almost always excited about learning more and more.

There were times I lost interest and told myself what the hell am I doing!
I figured out why (for me).. it was mainly because the magic I was learning made no sense!

It had no reason.. for example: (pick a card, and I'll find a card in some way)
I always asked myself why! Why would I make him pick a card and I'll find it, what's magical about that!

That's when I discovered what magic is about.. it's not about methods, tricks (although having a solid trick and method is for sure a helpful thing)

The most important part in my opinion.. is to have a story.. a presentation.. a reason.. even if it was a silly one.. as long as you have a story to tell.. a reason as to why you're doing what you're doing!
You'll keep finding what you're doing to be magical and your spectators will notice that as well!

For example, if you're familiar with "Triumph"
Instead of saying "Pick a card, and I'll shuffle the cards in this weird way.. then I'll find your card to be the only face up card in a face down pack"

You can say "Last time I was doing a card trick for my friends/in this bar/ and I really wanted to impress this girl/guy so I wanted to do my favorite card trick, so I let him pick a card.. but there was this drunk guy who kept taking the cards out of my hands and shuffled them in this weird way! I didn't know what to do, then I figured out if I am a magician I can still find the card in a snap of fingers *snaps* *reveals*

Sorry for taking this long! but you see the difference? your audience will.
Give your tricks a reason, and you won't feel you're doing this for nothing.. you'll always have a reason!

Don't give up on your magic!

Good luck Smile

~Sari
It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled. ~ Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Hi Guys I'm back (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL