The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Multi-Tasking props (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Once had problems with an Amish group at a restaurant and the cards I was using. The variety really helped
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
About 1/3 of my work is strolling for adults. I always bring more than I need - and I'm okay with that. I'd rather carry a prop that I didn't use than wish I had one I didn't have.

That said, I typically use four or five different props for a handful of tricks.

-one cup routine using either a coffee cup from the venue or chop cup
- deck of cards for Red Hot Mama
- color changing knives
- sponge balls or bunnies.

I also bring something I can perform in front of a large group just in case

I can't imagine a paid show where I only had one prop.

Hudson
SimonG-97
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
I am working on doing a 3 ring linking rings routine , that can also be used with a ring and rope routine obviously. Additionally a pair of scissors means you can do cut and restored rope effects, and of course a small and medium length of rope you can do professors nightmare . If you have the rope and rings ( obviously a close up sized set ) in one pocket, and your scissors in the proper scissor holder that's a whole set in one pocket . So 4 different routines out of 3 rings , some rope and scissors.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Danny,

Yes I perform. I only do close up; table hopping and strolling. I'm a hobbyist not a pro or semi-pro (borrowing jargon from Gene Anderson). I don't perform "regularly," but several times a year. My foundations are:
- Cards - regular deck and 1 or 2 gaffs - numerous routines
- Coins - 4 halves, a [, an EP, and a quarter - affords me good variety
- Finger ring and shoelace - this is a "single routine" prop for me
- TT - silk production mainly with small kids
for a "gig" I carry all of this as it suits me

Depending of the forum and pocket space, I may additionally items to expand options and a few "1-effect" props.. for example
- Offset
- a packet based effect (i.e. iChange)
- 3" coin (for a flurry finale)
- rope (and maybe a 4" ring)
- bill effects (i.e. 1 bill transpo, 4-5 bill transpo)
- Charming Chinese Challenge
- mini Chop Cup
- Pen thru
- etc
... and, "no" not all of this at one gig

Again.... my original question was simply whether any performers have undertaken a gig with just a single "prop." I've seen it done with cards, coins, and know of a single instance with a TT; and I can envision it being done with IT. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable, but that's not to say others are well capable and very successful at it.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Although its a little off topic I'm also one of those that uses variety rather than just coins or cards etc but going back to the actual topic my JOL hip wallet is a prop that allows for multi purpose use obviously not at the same table but with its I can do signed card/coin and ring to wallet without having to worry about resetting etc.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I haven't but I could see the TT making up a nights entertainment. Darwin sure could do it
RJLockwood
View Profile
Regular user
Raleigh, NC
162 Posts

Profile of RJLockwood
Would just like to say I feel for you @ScottHorn... Anytime someone asks a simple good natured question, people need to clarify every little point, tell you what you mean, why your wrong to ask, and of course the persons performing circumstances are questioned... Hang in there though
The more I learn, the less I seem to know.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Multi-Tasking props (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL