The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Balloon swallowing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Do you know how people pretend to swallow baloons , well does anyone know how it works , I think I have a rough idea but I'm not sure how it works
if anyone knows then please pm me
thanks
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
This has been discussed several times here at the Café.

The best resource is Steve Bidwell’s videotape “No MD required”. He gives a bit of history of the trick and full instructions on how to perform it.

It is very, very, easy.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Skulldini
View Profile
New user
N. California
80 Posts

Profile of Skulldini
Careful Harry the cops are always looking for those balloons.lol Ya know what I mean ?
Skulldini Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
LOL!!! Know exactly what you mean!
~Raven~
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of ~Raven~
I also agree it is quite simple.
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary.

For those who do not, none will suffice."

Joe Dunninger
Babymagician
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Babymagician
Kevin James is the inventor of this trick.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
No, Johnny Paul the famed sword swallower is the inventor of the trick.

Strike that Johnny FOX, I meant to say
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Are you sure it wasn't Johnny Sword the famous Fox Swallower?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Johnny Fox did NOT invent the balloon-swallowing trick. Steve Bidwell did NOT invent the balloon-swallowing trick. Kevin James did NOT invent this trick.

A juggler in England (his name excapes me at this time) invented the bit and used it as part of his street act almost for two decades (or longer) and well before Johnny Fox or Steve Bidwell saw it and put it into their acts.

I know that Steve does credit the inventor on his tape. Johnny doesn’t have a teaching tape out or any book or pamphlet so has no need to provide a reference.

Johnny Fox has included the bit in his regular Festival and street act for about 20 years. During a summer at the Maryland Renaissance Fair he is seen by hundreds of kids of all ages. I have never seen one kid try to do the balloon-swallowing bit. Fox is a skilled magician but his main act is that of sword swallowing.

The trick was made popular with magicians by Steve Bidwell and can be found on Bidwell’s tape “No MD Required”.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I know Fielding West looked into the history and asked Fox for permission legitamtely believing him to be the originator, however I would be very interested in getting the history of this effect cleared up. Harry, can you provide the name and any contact info for the alleged British creator of the effect?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Steve Bidwell is your contact person. I believe that he references the performer on his tape "MD Not Required". I no longer have the tape so cannot review it. In conservation with Johnny Fox at the Maryland Renaissance Fair about this very topic, he did not claim to invent the stunt but did not share where or from whom he learned it.

I believe that Bidwell actually has performed the trick as part of a professional act for a bit longer than Johnny. I saw Bidwell perform it a season or two before it became a part of Fox’s sword swallowing act. The first couple of seasons that Fox performed at the Maryland Renaissance Fair did not include the trick as part of his act. I have watched Johnny’s act for over 20 years, have a few early on video, including an act that does not include the balloon swallowing. I do have his swallowing a rifle barrel and firing mechanism bit and then shoots (by pulling a string) a target (cracker) from above a spectator’s head. He rarely does that bit anymore.

There are many people who do the trick. I know an “exotic” dancer (stripper) that includes it in her act. She does not know whom she learned it from but has never seen Fox or Bidwell (at least has never seen their shows!). I also ran across a young street performer in Mexico City two years ago performing it. He was a fire-eater, juggler and included the balloon-swallowing bit for comedy. He was all of 19 or 20 years old. We talked briefly during one of his breaks. He had never heard of any magician that I named or of John Fox. He told me that he had never seen anyone else who did the trick and that he invented it! Go figure!

Frankly, the secret is fairly obvious if you play with balloons at all. I wonder how many clowns and balloon twisters have independently discovered the secret over the years only to disregard the stunt as worthless? Remember that the Needle through Balloon trick sat on shelves of Magic Shops for almost a decade before Doug Henning dusted one off and performed it on a TV special. Al’s Magic Shop had ten in stock that he could not move for over five years until that show then he couldn’t keep them in stock!

As to Fielding West getting permission? Well, the trick is a signature piece for both Johnny Fox and Steve Bidwell and asking permission to use another performers bit is only showing professional courtesy. Even if that performer did not actually invent the trick!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Here is a little sweetie doing it for the hosts of a talk show on cable. Done very well I might add.

Link my take a while to download with dial up but if you have Cable or DSL your all set.

http://www.kontraband.com/show/show.asp?ID=544
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Balloon swallowing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL