The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Is this some kinf of forcing deck? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

yesopunk
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of yesopunk
Recently I saw Nate Staniforth performing a card trick I imagine can be done with some kind of gaffed or trick deck; the trick works like this, before the trick, the magicians takes a card and puts it face down on the table and asks the spectator to put the hand on top of it until the very end, then the magician takes the deck and spreads the deck and asks the spectator to see one card and memorize it, then the magician is able to "read the spectator's mind" and accurately tells the card the spectator is thinking of, later he shows that the card has dissapeared from the deck, and the card turns out to be the one that the spectator has been holding during the entire trick, here is a video of the performance, thanks a lot for your advice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_Qh8bNwbw
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
No forcing deck required.

The mentalism effect can be accomplished using a sleight described in Darryl Davis' Unbound: Gimmickless Invisible Deck, a single gaffed card from Simon Lovell's Packet Killer, and a move used by Magician Anonymous in "An Unexpected Triumph".

Hence, the deck is not examinable at the end of the performance.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I see you are a new user. this forum is not supposed to be a place to ask for trick exposure.
yesopunk
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of yesopunk
The Sponge, actually I am not asking for exposure of how the rick is accomplished, I am asking if somebody knows the name of the effect to get it since I am interested on it, thanks a lot SanChak for your reply
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2016, yesopunk wrote:
I am asking if somebody knows the name of the effect to get it since I am interested on it

Sorry, I don't know the name of the mentalism effect nor the exact sleights used by Nate.

However, I do perform a card effect (not mentalism) that requires me to induce the spectator to select the force card when the cards are spread and held vertically, facing the spectator. Psychological studies show that when a particular object/word is displayed a split second longer than the others, the spectator has a high probability registering that object/word in their mind.

I believe that Nate's effect can also be accomplished using the principle borrowing from Chris Ramsay's latest jaw-dropper called "Darkslide". It eliminates the use of a static gaff card, as well as the move used to conceal the gaff card during the revelation.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Is this some kinf of forcing deck? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL