The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No Man's Sky (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
So, any gamers here looking forward to playing this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dw_pU6RNxCo
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think it looks amazing. 15, 20 years ago I would have been so psyched but I find anymore that when I purchase a game, it just sits there and I never really get around to playing it anymore. I guess I can't claim to be a gamer anymore.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
"No Man's Sky - EXPLORE, FIGHT, TRADE, and SURVIVE"

Didn't I play this back in the 90s, when it was called Civilization?

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2016, balducci wrote:
"No Man's Sky - EXPLORE, FIGHT, TRADE, and SURVIVE"

Didn't I play this back in the 90s, when it was called Civilization?

Smile

Maybe but Civilization didn't look anything like this. Kinda pricey, I'll wait till Steam has it on sale.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well we are old fashioned. We make a living from live action gaming, which we naturally prefer to virtual games. We like the atmosphere and sociability of live games. Much like we prefer live magic over TV magic and so on. The computer games do look wonderful and are convenient.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
While I really, really admire open world games...as an old school gamer they drive me crazy. Too many variables and options. I need a mission and the satisfaction that is granted when that mission is accomplished. I like A to B with a clear ending. RPGs...no thank you. Too much voluntary interaction. I can get that in real life, so this feature is just more stress and not relaxation. As an introvert with extrovert tendencies (yeah, I took the test), I prefer just getting down to business.

Now, that said, I do like the games that give you that satisfaction, but then offer you the opportunity to go back and explore after your "game" is complete, and even download further missions. That's cool. The latest Tomb Raider was great for me in that way. It was really close in attitude and performance as classic Tomb Raider games, but the graphics were obviously superior and it had a straight forward mission which made me feel...in my sad life way...that I had accomplished something. Then, I downloaded another mission, and felt even better.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacid......cant-do/

"So we've officially reached the end of the hype. The reviews are in, the players are starting to leave, and the universe of No Man's Sky is becoming emptier than ever. What happened?"
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Burnok
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Burnok
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2016, balducci wrote:
Http://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacid......cant-do/

"So we've officially reached the end of the hype. The reviews are in, the players are starting to leave, and the universe of No Man's Sky is becoming emptier than ever. What happened?"

People are leaving the game because the devs left out everything that they had promised to include upon release, including multiplayer. Not only that, but it became a game less about survival and more about exploration. When it comes to combat, it's not frequent.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Yogi2x4
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Yogi2x4
I personally enjoy this game greatly. I just relax and hop in my ship to go trip out when I accidentally turn 180 and a planet bigger than anything I've seen surprises me. After this I fly to the planet to find the most beautifully innocent bear humanoid creatures that seem a bit skiddish, but they can wander if you keep a low profile. Among these creatures was an awkward 40ft featherless bird like creature with a striking beak. The only one among the bear things, he harmed nothing. Their existence on the desolate rock that I stumbled upon moved me. That is why I love this game.

Beautiful sunsets, strange geographic constructions, and the weirdest gender naming system... I digress. This isn't for everyone, but it is definitely for me. The planet was named something smutty, but I will not say it, not retain it in my mind.

I would love to see what they do in updates regarding the post launch troubles their company spoke of resolving. If the product is incomplete, they should have waited, but death threats can rush a person (assuming such things actually happened.)

In any case I wouldn't recommend this game, but I would buy it at full price again.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I watched a bunch of previews of the games, and was under the impression that the whole point of the game was that it was open ended. Complaining about the END of the game seems a bit disingenuous to me.
Yogi2x4
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of Yogi2x4
I only say that I wouldn't recommend because of my usual reservations with recommending videogames. I love the elder scrolls: oblivion, but I only know a few people who like it, and only one who is crazy about it like me, but the point is this is a great game that is getting a lot of bad press.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » No Man's Sky (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL