The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Virtual Magician DVD set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
The Virtual Magician DVD set by Marco Tempest is finally out. 6 episodes in all, with 12-18 effects per episode. Now that's a lot of magic. The DVDs are encoded with Dolby Surround and feature Marco's corporate showcase reel, behind the scenes footage, and interviews with guest magicians (McBride, Lance Burton, Simon Lovell, just to name a few) There is a trick taught in every episode, and a lot of the material will fool you. This is a limited edition set (only 999 made) and comes autographed. A great deal for $39.99. Check it out on http://www.virtualmagician.com/.

Doug
trick_icr
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of trick_icr
I got my set a while ago from Marco. Lots of great material on there. The style of the show is very unique too. Definitely a great deal for the money. Over 3 hours of non-stop magic for $39 (or free in my case Smile ). From what I have heard, this show won't air in the US, so well worth the money. 6 episodes in all, each with a theme: Chinatown, Vegas, Spirits, Con Man, Science, and Nature. The interviews with other magicians are great too. Lots of good magic from lots of great magicians including Nate kranzo, Paul Harris, Jamy Ian Swiss, and many more.
gentleman
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of gentleman
Do they teach you the tricks or is it just to watch for entertainment
marky707
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of marky707
I just purchased them... they look interesting
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
I too purchased them. Marco emailed me saying the pre-orders will be shipping on or before this Wednesday.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
There is one trick taught per episode, but the rest of it is magic for entertainment. There is definitely something on here for everyone. Lots of the latest and greatest magic including Devil's cola bottle, a fantastic bill change, and a lot of original ideas from some of the best magicians out there. For 39.99 you can't go wrong, especially if they are autographed. Marco's corporate promo reel is also on there in addition to behind the scenes footage and magician interviews. From what I hear, this is going to be a feature of April's magic magazine, so its a good idea to get them now before the rush starts then

Doug
trick_icr
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of trick_icr
Marco just put up some new clips from the show on the web.
go to http://www.virtualmagician.com/html/tv_series.html

The cool thing about this show is that it has all kinds of magic. From large scale illusions like Marco walking on water, to watch steals and card tricks.
cheezball
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of cheezball
I just ordered my set too. I got a response from Marco within 10 minutes of my order. Excellent customer service if not anything else. They ship on Wednesday. How long has Marco been around the magic scene? I have never really heard anything about him.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Marco is one of those magicians who is always working ... all over the world at that. From product launches to sales meetings, its really amazing that he found the time to put together an entire television series devoted to magic. He has a very unique approach to magic and incorporates a lot of technology and his background in dance/movement into his work. In one of the episodes, he breakdances and performs the routine that won him the World Cup of magic. It's the one with 4 hands and the ball manipulation. Very different than what anyone else is doing.

Doug

Just got an email from Marco. The DVD's have arrived and will be shipped ASAP.

Doug
peterng25
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of peterng25
This is great! I might order the dvds myself.
But how did I miss the tv series? Or can anyone say when they are going to be aired?

Thanks
jli
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
86 Posts

Profile of jli
Placed an order (preorder) on 3/21, and was shipped yesterday, 3/24 USPS priority. Should get it by Friday, or Monday at the latest. I saw the previews in the website and bought it mainly for entertainment and presentation ideas. The included tricks will indeed be a bonus for me.

As mentioned before, this is a limited edidtion set, so get yours while supplies last! My order # was 8, so I guess I was the 8th person to place an order?...
Donny Orbit
View Profile
Special user
944 Posts

Profile of Donny Orbit
My order was #6 and I placed my order on the 5th of March. They will probably sell more next month when Marko is on the cover of Magic Magazine with a feature article.

XX
do magic

www.8bom.net
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Did anyone receive their set yet? I would like to know what they think.

Doug
jli
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
86 Posts

Profile of jli
Received mine on 3/26 (shipped in two days!), but am trying to watch in the free time that I have. I was able to watch some of the segments: Chinatown, Con Man, and Las Vegas. The format is indeed unique... A cross between The Matrix (Movie) and Quantum Leap (TV Show). The premise, as quoted from the DVD cover and segment introductions is as follows:

"The 21st Century promised to be an age of miracles and wonder. Instead, Magic is a distant memory. Yet ancient mysteries live on in the neural pathways of one man, a Virtual Magician who can awaken our hearts and minds to magic. Now is that time. This is the man."

This series is intended mainly for entertainment, as it is basically the first season on The Virtual Magician TV Series on DVD. The series was shot beautifully w/ high tech videography (I mentioned the Matrix, right?) and computer-generated/virtual reality graphics. Each episode has a central theme to it with an expert in that field (for an example, a physicist in the Science episode, and a cultural anthropologist in the Chinatown episode).

The episodes mentioned above were filmed in NY City and Las Vegas in real-life situations with real-life on-the-street spectators. The tricks ranged from the very simple to some quasi-complex stage type illusions. For the most part, the seasoned veteran will recognize most of the effects. I, myself knew quite a few of the effects but seeing them performed by Marko made me applaud along w/ the spectators on the film. There are many effects that I've never seen before. In the DVD menu, you can access the trick index if you want to find out the name of a certain effect. As for the free tricks in each episode, there is nothing groundbreaking (at least in the episodes I viewed), but what would you expect from a series that is aired on TV to millions of viewers? We wouldn't want our underground secrets to be exposed now, do we?...

Marco Tempest (The Virtual Magician) is quite an amazing performer. I've never heard of him until this DVD set. He is obviously European (Austrian, perhaps?) and has a mysterious, suave, James Bond-like persona clad in Neo's clothing from the Matrix. The spectators see the mystery in him and at the same time receive him well. There is also a hostess/narrarator (I forget her name...) to help with the flow of the show.

Also, as an added treat, you get to see some real performances by professionals such as Juliana Chen (sp?), Jeff McBride, Simon Lovell, and Johnny Thompson to name a few.

I already have some ideas which I can work into my routines based on what I watched, and find the "magic for both sides of your brain" an interesting take on the art. Remember, this series is intended mainly for entertainment. If you purchase it expecting a teaching video, you will sorely be disappointed (unless you are new to magic). Otherwise, for $39.99, it is an excellent purchase and fun to watch. I'd like to add that this is a DVD you can actually watch with laymen friends (if you don't plan on performing the effects for them, you know, for maximal impact). I watched "Chinatown" with my girlfriend, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. She also had fun learning the "Break the Chopstick w/ a Dollar" bonus trick. I have to admit that she is more interested in magic after watching that 30 minute segment than before (which was NEVER). This will make a great addition to any magician's (or non) video library.

I'll post more after viewing the whole 3 1/2 hour series.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Watched the promo of it and it looks great.
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
326 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
The magic magazine article is out. Cover story too. Check it out. DVD's are going to be selling like hot cakes now so get them while you can. It is a limited edition (999 autographed). Just a forewarning.

Doug
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Is this the place to ask about one of the effects?!? I loved the 'do-as-i-do' with two cards as Marco had the spectators balance two cards edge to edge then knocked one of his own cards over to leave the last card still standing. Can anyone tell me the name of this trick and/or where I can find it in print?!? Thanks in advance.
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
Jason London
View Profile
Loyal user
Napa Valley
207 Posts

Profile of Jason London
Greetings,

This is a lot of fun to watch and extremely well produced. They did a great job with everything! Hocus Pocus Magic has been getting a lot of props for Marco and his crew over the last few weeks for the next DVD. We've spoken on the phone a number of times and he and his crew are the nicest people.

Marco emailed me today asking if he could use a routine I did on the local news station about a year ago. I'm not sure if they are going to do EXACTLY what I did, but they are going to give me credit on the next DVD. I'm actually very excited about it!

If you want to see the routine, its on my website. It's the Pineapple Prediction.
Jason London

This space for rent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The Virtual Magician DVD set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL