The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Pseudo/Fake Hypnosis and Amnesia/False Memories (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Hi,

I'm a Psychology student, but not a hypnosis expert.

I found some books about Pseudo/Fake Hypnosis:

"Hypno-Tricks" and "Animal Hypnosis and Human Hypno-Tricks" by Jonathan Royle
"Course in Pseudo Stage Hypnotism" by Robert Nelson

Is there anything else about Pseudo/Fake Hypnosis techniques, routines and effects?

I also watched and read about Amnesia effects which shouldn't involve real Hypnosis (but Pseudo/Fake one):

"Cerebral Steal" by James Brown
"Mind Eraser" by Joe Brogie
"Memory Lapse" by Jay Sankey
etc.

I was wondering if it is possible to induce Fake Memories as well...

Are there books collecting Amnesia and Fake Memories techniques, routines and effects?

Thanks.

Matteo
MitchellK
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of MitchellK
A download I got from penguin a while ago called 'Speechless' by Brandon Queen uses a method to,cause amnesia. Doesn't work all the time but mostly it does.
What is it you mean by 'inducing fame memories'?
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Hi, sorry I mean inducing/creating "false memories".

I've found a few books, but I don't know if there are other materials about this techniques:

"False-memory Creation in Children and Adults: Theory, Research, and Implications"
"Associative Illusions of Memory: False Memory Research in DRM and Related Tasks"
"The Memory Illusion: Remembering, Forgetting, and the Science of False Memory"

Thanks.
MitchellK
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of MitchellK
Ah right that makes more sense now. I don't know much on the topic but it depends what you want to do(what memory to create).
You can easily create a false memory when p*****g information in Mentalism - simply by recalling and reframing it as a thought. You could present cerebral steal as a false memory implantation rather than amnesia.
If you are talking actual hypnotic techniques then I see no problem with simply suggesting that they will remember it how your want and make them have that memory.
This is in theory - I am by no means an expert.
I hope this helps - once again it depends what exactly you want to do.
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Unfortunatley, I'm not an expert either.

Pseudo/fake hypnosis (like the real one), inducing/creating amnesia and/or false memories seem to have one thing in common that you mentioned as well: "suggestion"...

How can I learn the art of effective "suggestion"?

Thanks.
MitchellK
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of MitchellK
I learnt from Anthony Jacquin's Reality is Plastic and watching James Brown. James has a penguin live lecture on penguin magic next Sunday (25th) on hypnosis. Anthony Jacquin's Believe in Magic Place interview is good too. They are the sources I learned from. And the hypnosis section on Peter Turners The S.T.E.M System.
James brown will be a good starting point though.

I do not have it myself but I have been told that 'I Create As I Speak' is good (I can't remember who it is by - Lewis Le Val I think...
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
The material you mentioned is about "hypnotic suggestions", but I also read you can use "waking suggestions" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suggestion) in absence of hypnosis...

Have you heard about it? How could I learn the art of effective "waking suggestions"?

Thanks.
MitchellK
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of MitchellK
Waking suggestions are James Brown and Lewis Le Val.
It's the same as hypnotic suggestions with the eyes open. Anthony Jacquin's Believe In Magic Place interview (it is on YouTube) is great for explaining it.
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Even if I haven't watched/read them I have Reality ..., Trilby ..., Manchurian... by Anthony Jacquin and Reality Bending (with Rapid Inductions and Auto-Hypnosis) by James Brown, but I understood they were more about mentalism/street (real) hypnosis...

I've just watched the 2 video demostrations of "I Create As I Speak" by Lewis Le Val and they look like real "waking suggestions" in absence of hypnosis. I'll try to find his Ebook.

Thanks.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Why are you specifically looking for pseudo hypnosis instead of just learning hypnosis which would allow you to do exactly what you're wanting to do?

Watch, read, and study the resources you already have. That's a good bit of money to have spent without learning the material.

The issue you have here is that you lack an understanding of the foundation of the techniques you are wanting to use. Start at the bottom and study and learn and all your questions will be answered in due time.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
In some Countries practising any sort of hypnosis without being a qualified hypnotherapist (psychologist or doctor) can be punished by the law, but I don't think instead that practising pseudo/fake hypnosis can be punished by the law as well...

Thanks.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Then study to become a certified Hypnotherapist.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
If the law is strict enough that you can be punished for practicing hypnosis without a license, then any convincing pseudo-hypnosis will probably fall under whatever definition they are using as well. I have yet to see a "legal" definition of hypnosis that couldn't easily be applied to pretty much any display of pseudo-hypnosis as well, unless that display is laughably poor. My guess is that this is pretty much caused by the total lack of understanding of hypnosis by most people, including those who make the laws.

Your best bet, if you are in that situation is either A) Do as Mindpro says and get certified, or B) Avoid it all together.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
falcon2600
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of falcon2600
Thanks.
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
I used to read a lot of book and watch a lot of videos from Milton Erikson and Richard Bandler, it gave a very in-depth look on Hypnosis beyond just the techniques.
Both have some good info on regression, kinda like " False Memories ", Big principles on hypnosis, Highly recommend.
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
IF it's a question of law, consult a lawyer-- not the Magic Café. But if "pseudo hypnosis" is legal, I'd do regular hypnosis, and if I ran afoul of the law I'd demonstrate that what I do isn't "hypnosis," it's a "magic trick."
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
Free internet legal advice is bad juju. That, my friend, is my free internet advice to you.

I'm fascinated by the whole "pseudo hypnosis" topic too. Considering that professional hypnotists can't agree on what hypnosis is or in some cases if it even exists, how do we define what is "real" hypnosis vs "pseudo" hypnosis? Further, is it really important? If you are a hypnotic entertainer and your audience is entertained and thinks it's hypnosis, then that's "real" enough. If a hypnotherapist gets the therapeutic result the client wants (and pays for) with a "pseudo" hypnotic trick, again... mischief managed.

In the context of this forum, the "is it important" question is really the only question. As I understand it from my newbie cruising, talk of theory isn't what happens here. It's about hypno entertainment. From my limited experience and observations, hypno entertainment seems a lot like musical entertainment. Showmanship trumps theory. Lots of musical legends can't even read music. Similarly, a great hypnotic performer may or may not be the second coming of Elman.

What do you guys who perform professionally think? Does it matter if it's "real" or "pseudo" hypnosis?
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It is a show. That is important. The rest is simply conversation.

Real or not real does not interest me in the least. The show functions. That is enough.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
wchoo002
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of wchoo002
Just to add here, True Mysteries by Fraser Parker is great for pseudo hypnosis
Djin
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Djin
I came across a book that is relevant to the original poster's question. "The Memory Illusion, Remembering, Forgetting, and the Science of False Memory" by Julia Shaw. She gave an interview on the radio some time back that I heard re-broadcast. I don't know if it has the answers you are looking for, but it is a current resource on the science underlying the subject so I thought I would bring it to your attention.

The interview was fascinating enough that I saved the book on my Amazon "wish list" that I use in part as a reminder list of books I may want to read.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Pseudo/Fake Hypnosis and Amnesia/False Memories (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL