The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginning Magic Brands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
What does everyone think of the magic producers that basically help spark an interest in magic for younger kids or people just getting started? Some popular ones now are Marvin's Magic, Fantasma, could possibly include Tenyo in it also... I think these are good ideas because the three above produce their effects in very high quality items. I started Magic with those Magic Works a years back. So, what does everyone think? Good idea or bad?
MattWayne
View Profile
Special user
Manhattan, NY | Studio City, CA
624 Posts

Profile of MattWayne
When I first started- ha - it was real to real to buy the Harry Blackstone starter magic sets. Wow- you don't see many of those still in good condition- anywho that and Marshall Brodien Magic Sets. Those sets are good for a little kid who just wants a trick to show Mom or Dad. They are good sets that include a lot of concepts in magic, but only skim the surface.

Keep it up:)

Tomasko
Matt Wayne
The Celebrity Magicianâ„¢
www.CelebrityMagician.com / youtube.com/celebritymagician / twitter.com/RealMattWayne /
Facebook.com/CelebrityMagician

Creator of, 'Got a Light?' and others.
Spokesperson behind, TouchTricks
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
Those magic tricks are great. I like to use them and collect them.
BWind
View Profile
Loyal user
Honolulu, Hawaii
262 Posts

Profile of BWind
Newb2,
Everybody starts magic somewhere, buy what you like, some will be great effects & some will be garbage (any hobby cost money); After awhile you will have an urge to get more sophisticated effects as your personal performing style develops; If not you just might end up like that fellow Dawai, a professional collector; Best wishes and have fun!
Aloha,
BWind
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
Bwind,Thats rights you get alot of magic by just buying them. But you get alot of information from just buying and collecting him.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
The first few tricks I bought were from Royal Magic. These things are great for getting started but the more I learned, the more I wanted equipment of a better quality.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Today,

I recommend Tenyo. Adams and Royal were around whe I was starting out, but Tenyo, IMO...well, I only wish they'd been around in 1970!

Doug
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The new stuff from Fantasma is pretty good for the money.

But once you have a magic set and a couple of tricks under your belt, it's time to hit the books -- get Tarbell volume 1 and the Mark Wilson Course in Magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I started on Magic Works which were so innovative and original. Unfortunatley they are very very difficult to find. I keep in touch with the man who created those, and he told me they sold out so fast that not even he got enough for himself. A darn shame really, very fine effects.
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Go Tenyo...

-- Topher
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Here was my first magic set:
http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/toy-p......how.html
Got it when I was 6 or 7 years old I think.

oh and here was my first magic book: http://www.ronjo.com/thestore/prods/8010205702.html
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I wouldn't recommend Marvin's Magic to anyone, even a small child.

Blackstone's early sets were great, I believe I had one, but I cannot recall for sure.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Why wouldn't you recommend Marvin's Magic Rob?

I've found that it's well made, the instructions are better than most and it's reasonably priced?

Items such as The Energised Coin, Great British Coin Trick and the Himber Wallet are as good as any other items deemed 'professional magic' (whatever that is)!!
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Einmaliger
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
199 Posts

Profile of Einmaliger
Quote:
On 2010-03-20 09:50, Merc Man wrote:
Why wouldn't you recommend Marvin's Magic Rob?

You do realize that you are replying to a posting that was made six years ago?
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
I bought a couple of the Marvin's magic executive kits back in 1999 when I went to England. They were really well made and I still perform a few things out of them. Don't know if the quality has slipped since then, but what I bought then I liked.

One thing about buying in England that really blew me away was that the price I saw on an item was the actual price I paid. None of this $29.95+tax garbage that is done here in America. And the prices were in whole Pounds!
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Tenyo and Fantasma Magic.
When I start all my stuff was Royal!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Beginning Magic Brands (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL