The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RNT2 Stainless Steel Minis (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

D_avid
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of D_avid
I have long been a cup fan. Recently, I have been going through old archived RNT2 pages from 2008 and noticed a trend: Stainless steel cups, both regular and minis, were in limited edition. I know nothing about the time and investment that goes into making cups. I just thought I'd ask here if it's due to the specific metal or if it's due to collectability. I know I could ask Donnie or Jake directly, but thought others might be curious as well.

On a side note, it was fun looking at all the one of a kind cups Jake offered and watching Donnie setting up shop from the beginning to now.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hello Writer

We enjoy RNT2's Steel Paul Fox Cups and the Gun Metal Steel Mini's even more! The mini's get a lot more use because they can go anywhere and take up virtually no space.

I don't believe there were many of either one sold...

Julie
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
My metal working pal used to go on at length about how tough it was to get stainless steel to do anything.
I got the feeling that once it is "stainless" it is less able to blend/join back with itself like you might see them do with regular steel on an anvil.

Apart from cutting one out of a single billet (blank) working with it must have been really tough.

P
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
If you spin surgical stainless by hand on a lathe you have to anneal every 1/4". Nickel can be a real bear too. So what you do is you go into your cad program and design your cup. Send the file to a spinning shop that uses CNC. A full size Don Alan cup takes about 6 minutes to spin from top to bottom. You still need tooling for the form, but with the CAD file they can make the tooling the same day and have your order out the same day of spinning, unless you want them to polish it for you, that's an extra 1.00 per cup LOL. Some times it may take a day or two if they are busy with Gov. contracts. The longest project was the PF Mini's we had a problem with the shoulder beads collapsing on us. so we stepped up the gauge of stainless and everything went smooth as silk.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » RNT2 Stainless Steel Minis (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL