The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Brett Sherwood (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Justin M. Monehen
View Profile
New user
UK
50 Posts

Profile of Justin M. Monehen
Picking up on an earlier comment about BS written on the tips of the wands and it feeling like someone else wand. I wonder if there will ever be an option to have your own initials on the wand. I have had the Silver Engraved Cups for many years and they are stunning (simply the best on the market). I really would like the matching wand - but if I'm going to invest in such a beautiful (and personal) object such as an engraved magic wand - I find it hard to have someone else's initials on it. I'll send a message to Brett in the morning to see his thoughts on it, (I can fully understand why he wants his initials on his items), but it may be nice to have an option. Any thoughts?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Clearly you should just change your name so your initials match!
As a matter of fact, I have a friend who's initials are 'BS' - I should let him know about these...

In all seriousness, let us know what you find out.
Nosslrak
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Nosslrak
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Justin M. Monehen wrote:
Picking up on an earlier comment about BS written on the tips of the wands and it feeling like someone else wand. I wonder if there will ever be an option to have your own initials on the wand. I have had the Silver Engraved Cups for many years and they are stunning (simply the best on the market). I really would like the matching wand - but if I'm going to invest in such a beautiful (and personal) object such as an engraved magic wand - I find it hard to have someone else's initials on it. I'll send a message to Brett in the morning to see his thoughts on it, (I can fully understand why he wants his initials on his items), but it may be nice to have an option. Any thoughts?

I'm glad that I'm not the only one to feel this way.
Justin M. Monehen
View Profile
New user
UK
50 Posts

Profile of Justin M. Monehen
Yep Bruce Smith (magic guru of Hamleys) often comments that the cups have his initials Smile
Sent an email off - Brett is always lovely and whatever the answer,it won't distract from the quality of some amazing props. I just can't think of another time I've performed with a prop that displays someone else's logo so it feel a bit weird. Maybe others like logos and brands?
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I kind of get the initials thing, but I guess I regard it more along the lines of a maker's name being on clothes: Levi, Calvin Klein, Bill Blass, and so on...
I never feel like I'm wearing someone else's clothes Smile

Personally, I'm ambivalent, as long as the initials aren't something that is blatantly obvious to a spec.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Cary Grant avoided clothing with brand names visibly on them. He refused to advertise any clothing company. I'm also ambivalent about Brett's initials on his wands. Is anyone going to point the wand straight at the spectator for any length of time? I doubt they are going to notice the engravings on the tips.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2017, Chessmann wrote:

Personally, I'm ambivalent, as long as the initials aren't something that is blatantly obvious[...]

You mean like the way it is on 90% of the clothing branding? Smile
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2017, tonsofquestions wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2017, Chessmann wrote:

Personally, I'm ambivalent, as long as the initials aren't something that is blatantly obvious[...]

You mean like the way it is on 90% of the clothing branding? Smile

The first line was about clothes, the last was about magic props Smile
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Two sets of Sherwood's wand pouches arrived and they are gorgeous and well made. Both of my 2 piece wands are now in better storage. My Nicot bar cup is also in a Sherwood drawstring cup bag. Brett's products are among the finest.
jefkve
View Profile
New user
Orange County, CA
52 Posts

Profile of jefkve
Such beautiful cups and wands. I'm in agreement with others that it's a shame he puts his initials on the end of the wands, but IT DOES lend itself to some good patter. Hoping I can save up and buy some of these....Once my skills are up to par.
Darcy Brown
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Darcy Brown
I was fortunate enough to recently receive an all-silver engraved Chop Cup, and a snakewood wand with engraved silver tips. Not that any additional testimonial is needed, but absolutely stunning work from Brett as always, and the perfect compliment to my existing set of the engraved silver cups. The new cup transporter bag is also terrific.
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
I have a set of the brass satin cups and am hoping to do them justice.

Little query

One of the three cup.s sings like a bell when tapped with a wand. Really took me by surprise first time. Beautiful.

The other two don't.

No visible difference between them.

Have I been lucky once or unlucky twice

Ta. Rick
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Wow these are impossible to find
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2017, Dr Rick wrote:
I have a set of the brass satin cups and am hoping to do them justice.

Little query

One of the three cup.s sings like a bell when tapped with a wand. Really took me by surprise first time. Beautiful.

The other two don't.

No visible difference between them.

Have I been lucky once or unlucky twice

Ta. Rick

Brass cups usually make a beautiful sound. The only thing that comes to mind is the 2 that don't ring well may be chopped cups, haha. I doubt seriously that this is the case, of course, but my experience with other chopped C&B cups made me think this.

I love how straight cups sound when working with them. Chopped C&B cups don't have that lovely sound (in my own experience).
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1979 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I’ve been waiting over a year for the midi cups to come back in stock. Such a bummer. Any idea when these will be available again?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Brett is great on email! I'm sure if you shoot him a message you'll get a fairly timely response.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Magical Moments
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
What you may want to consider is a terrific set of smaller cups from RNT. They make a small size sterling silver set of Paul Fox minis as well as in copper, brass and others in polished and satin finishes. Great selection of great cups fairly priced and the set of balls and carry bag are included.

No reason to wait when you have access to such a great selection from RNT.

I own the Paul Fox minis in the sterling silver and polished copper and I love both sets. A great value!
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
With regard to the Sherwood midi vs the regular size cups.

For me the climax of the cups and balls is the load at the end. It has been argued that
the adventures of the balls is done just to show that the cups are empty.
As neat as the midi cups may be the size of the loads at the end are surprising but not large.
If you can hold out for the extra $ I would strongly recommend the standard engraved silvers.
I have (too) many sets of cups and these are always my go to set. I was lucky enough to
get the matching chop cup soon after and that lets me switch cups to get my liquid finish in as well.

I'm sure you will be delighted with anything you get from Brett.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Brett Sherwood (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL