The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Is TILFORD Illusions Trustworthy? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I am interested in purchasing Jonathan Pendragon's Clearly Impossible sawing. I know that Tilford is an authorised builder apart from Bill Smith and Daniel Summers.

But I have read a lot of things about Tilford which makes his work questionable.

If you have purchased from Tilford before, can you be so kind as to shed some lights to me?

I have seen close up pics of Tilford's Clearly Impossible and they look really really solid and beautifully built.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Tilford sold his business many years ago to a company in Europe. The place seems to be a scam now. Just do a search here and you will read some real interesting stories how they make junk and not ever deliver the products.

Buyer be ware!
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Ah I see. Thank you for your answer, Bill.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I received a private message from a Café member today. This magician is a very renown and prestigious magician of our time. He is highly respected as both a performer and creator.

In his message to me, he gave me his word that Tilford Illusions now are doing good business. Tilford has been changing A LOT through the last few years. The son of the owner took over the business and both quality and ethics have changed from night to day. He also tells me that the reason he does not want to post publicly here is because he did not want to come across as defending someone or trying to convince people. People like this magician has spent personal time with the man behind Tilford Illusions than the ones who just reads the forum.

Also, I was thinking why would a busy performing magician like him would take time to send me a long private message to address my concerns about Tilford. The answer was simple. He believes in the new Tilford illusions.

I would take the leap to soon acquire an illusion from Tilford. When I finally receive my illusion, I will most certainly write my honest thoughts on everything. Till then, I always believe that some people do mean well and want to change.

PS. I remembered that Tilford used to sell unauthorised versions of John Taylor's Suspended Animation. I have seen their ads on their website. But today, it is not there anymore.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Zlwin: I am unsure. I see A LOT of unauthorised illusions there!
What is about Pole Crush, Eclipse, Spiker, Compressed, Foul Play, Cube Zag, Tri Section, Trapasso, Master Predition, Instant Babe, Cutting Edge, Jet Turbine, Drill of Death, etc... ???
Is that "a change from night to day"? I would love it, but what I see announced, are those examples. Ask them about it.

At least it seams, that they did get the authorisation for the clearly impossible. Okay! That's good. But the others?
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I have a question about the other illusions, too. Maybe they have a deal with Daniel Summers or something? I don't know. But as for the other illusions like the Clearly Impossible, Blade Saw, Shadowship, they seem to have authorisation from the creators.

If only Tilford could come here and speak and maybe we will learn better. His English is not good therefore talking to him in the emails are difficult too.
JoyJoy
View Profile
Special user
Germany
514 Posts

Profile of JoyJoy
Well I know, that Andre Kole didn't give an authorisation.
(And I doubt that Jim Steinmeyer did.)

So... there are a lot of unauthorised illusions there.
tristanmagic
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of tristanmagic
Apart from some exceptions like they pay Jonathan a small fee to build his sawing after ripping him off for more than 10 years.
The way they work is that they build rip-off's and when the Original creator contacts them asking to stop they just say that they will not stop building them but if you want they are willing to pay a small fee for each one sold after you sign a contract giving away your rights.

If you don't want this agreement they just keep on selling it without permission.

They use to be known as Dominik magic but they got such a bad reputation that they bought the Tilford name when the original owner of Tilford magic sold his business.

Btw they still sell copies of John Taylor's Suspended Animation !
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
150 Posts

Profile of Lavey
My experience with Tilford: I paid a deposit and since them they don't reply to my mails. Will wait till the end of the week and if I don't get any answer will fill a lawsuit!
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Oct 16, 2016, Zlwin Chew wrote:
I received a private message from a Café member today. This magician is a very renown and prestigious magician of our time. He is highly respected as both a performer and creator.

In his message to me, he gave me his word that Tilford Illusions now are doing good business. Tilford has been changing A LOT through the last few years. The son of the owner took over the business and both quality and ethics have changed from night to day. He also tells me that the reason he does not want to post publicly here is because he did not want to come across as defending someone or trying to convince people. People like this magician has spent personal time with the man behind Tilford Illusions than the ones who just reads the forum.

Also, I was thinking why would a busy performing magician like him would take time to send me a long private message to address my concerns about Tilford. The answer was simple. He believes in the new Tilford illusions.

I would take the leap to soon acquire an illusion from Tilford. When I finally receive my illusion, I will most certainly write my honest thoughts on everything. Till then, I always believe that some people do mean well and want to change.

PS. I remembered that Tilford used to sell unauthorised versions of John Taylor's Suspended Animation. I have seen their ads on their website. But today, it is not there anymore.

Tilford sold the business, he has nothing to do with the French company any longer. He did not contact you.

If you do as I suggest and search the Café, you will notice some member sticks up for the Tilford Company in France and says much of the same you posted. He is a company man, not just a customer of Tilford's.

Buyer beware!!!
Lavey
View Profile
Regular user
Luxembourg
150 Posts

Profile of Lavey
Quote:
On Oct 18, 2017, Lavey wrote:
My experience with Tilford: I paid a deposit and since them they don't reply to my mails. Will wait till the end of the week and if I don't get any answer will fill a lawsuit!

Time for an update on my previous post:

It turned out that Tilford had a difficult moment the time I ordered the illusions. But everything is fine now, they contacted me several times (phone, whatsapp, email) to find together with my a solution.
I got my Illusions and honestly, I am very happy! The quality is very good, the bases are deceptive and they taught on everything.
Christian Lavey
Magician from Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Magicien de Luxembourg https://lavey.lu
Zauberer aus Luxemburg https://lavey.lu
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Is TILFORD Illusions Trustworthy? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL