The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cards Through Jacket by Guy Hollingworth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Two things:

First: I'm thinking of starting to perform this routine. It's obviously not easy so it would take work. But, I was wondering it has a good reaction on laymen or if this is more of a magician's trick?

Second: I'm having trouble on the last move with the deck through jacket. Does anyone have any tips on this move?
Ronald S.
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
64 Posts

Profile of Ronald S.
Is this effect from his book or one of his video?

You now have me interested.

Ronald
Ronald S.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
It's in Drawing Room Deceptions (his book) and I saw him perform in on the London Collection (I think it is, it's the one where he walks around to random places and does his tricks for no one) or possibly in routines. I didn't see him explain it on the video which probably would have helped.
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
135 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
Check the video again, it's on there. I think it's before he goes into the explanation of the ace assembly, I learnt it as he describes it, but only as entertainment for myself, as I don't wear a jacket.
"Being able to do tricks, doesn't mean you're able to be Entertaining!"
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
I'ts in the book. It's also the last effect on the video, and yes, it is very difficult to do.

For laypeople, I don't see why not. Although I do think more emphasis needs to be placed on the reality of pulling the cards through fabric. Mr Hollingworth, aside from being flawless in his execution, is maybe a little less convincing when it comes to theatre. I consider this to be an effect of immposible penetration and,thusly,needs to be presented as such. I imagine that pulling three cards(and then the entire deck)through the folds of a jacket would be hard. If you're going to have a go at this, you may want to try and make it look like it's taking some effort. The audience will respect your conviction in the longrun.
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-03-24 05:52, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
Check the video again, it's on there. I think it's before he goes into the explanation of the ace assembly, I learnt it as he describes it, but only as entertainment for myself, as I don't wear a jacket.

Sorry I explained that wrong. Me and my friends only watched the performances and put in another tape before the explainations came in since most of us already had the book anyway. And thanks D Atkinson, your advice shoulds help me during performance.

I also have another question, does anyone do a different production instead of his lateral palm one? I'm trying to work on a tenkai production because I feel the lateral palm production is just too complicated for me to be able to do. I saw a friend doing this routine but with a card production from the Jeff McBride series (I forget it's name) from the first volume. I can't get the angles good with that one though. Any advice on this?
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
Hi Dave

For some reason the old manipulation move that Guy uses in this effect works best. When looking at the routine, I too tried all manner of variants from the vast arena of moves available(BTW I think I know which alternate move you mean, and I can't remember what it's called either.) Work on the actual move Guy explains. It looks really good within the context of the piece. You have to remember, though, that Guy Hollingworth is a bit of a freak when it comes to these things. It takes mere mortals a little longer to comply.

At the end of the day you have to ' Go your own way' You may find another move is best. I just gave up onthis effect altogether because I very rarely wear a jacket. A somewhat obvious, but true excuse

D
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I actually just got a new leather blazer type jacket so I'm now much more interested in jacket tricks (my old jacket sucked). I like the way wearing a leather jacket looks when performing because it looks more casual concidering I'm only 16.

When you did practice this, did it help you to sleightly shave down the two aces for the production?
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
I can't say that I ever did Dave.

I always feel under pressure if I have to interfere with a card just for the purpose of a trick. I have to feel pretty strong about, said effect, before I'll consider treating the cards to any kind of makeover whatsoever.

D

PS I mean this seriously BTW.
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I've only had the guts to perform this difficult routine once...and it was with very little practice. It was late at night and I felt like performing a new effect and this was it. Surprisingly I pulled it off well enough to fool and the reaction was VERY good!

All of Hollingworth material is top notch...difficult, but amazing.
~joeKing
D Atkinson
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of D Atkinson
I agree

I have used his Triumph to great effect for some years now. I also went through the 'Waving fad'. The really interesting stuff is at the back of the book though. Who, among you, has played around with the multiple, fake signature ideas?

I consider this concept is a real 'keeper' Why oh why did I remind people of it.
GaMBiT_101
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide
135 Posts

Profile of GaMBiT_101
The thing about the triumph though, does it seem like an anti climax? just finding the card again, plus its mates. Theres no real premise for the final, is there one last phase that could be added, as a final climax?

Should I just shut up and practice the effect?
"Being able to do tricks, doesn't mean you're able to be Entertaining!"
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2004-03-24 23:41, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
Should I just shut up and practice the effect?

Yes.

D Atkinson, I've thought about trying it out but I haven't been in the position to. I'm going to take another look at it now, maybe I'll use it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Cards Through Jacket by Guy Hollingworth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL