The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help Setting Up A Business As A Walkaround Magician (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Hi,

I've been doing Magic and then mentalism for around 15 years but never professionally. I have a pretty decent set and am able to entertain people but know nothing about how to get started in the business side of things.

I want to study and learn about how to set myself up, specifically on the legal/business side of things. Insurance, paying taxes etc. The problem is that I don't know what I don't know if that makes any sense.

My question is whether there is a book or DVD that covers this information. My ideal book would be 'Dummies Guide to Starting A Business As A Walkaround Magician". Does anything similar exist in the literature. I'm not looking for a 5 minute fix and am willing to spend time and money to study the right material.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Edit: In case it's relevant, I'm in England.
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Www.greatbusiness.gov.uk is a good place to start. Links to the variations for England, Scotland & N Ireland. Smile
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Good (free) & accurate advice here also Smile
https://www.gov.uk/topic/business-tax/self-employed
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Thanks Stu. That looks like a good place to start. Do you know if there is anything in the magical literature on this subject?
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Not aware of anything but there's a couple of well versed members here who're likely more than happy to point you in the right direction I'm sure
Smile on an iPhone so can't look them up easily...when I get to larger text I'll do that Smile
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2016, Yuan Moons wrote:
Hi,

I've been doing Magic and then mentalism for around 15 years but never professionally. I have a pretty decent set and am able to entertain people but know nothing about how to get started in the business side of things.

I want to study and learn about how to set myself up, specifically on the legal/business side of things. Insurance, paying taxes etc. The problem is that I don't know what I don't know if that makes any sense.

My question is whether there is a book or DVD that covers this information. My ideal book would be 'Dummies Guide to Starting A Business As A Walkaround Magician". Does anything similar exist in the literature. I'm not looking for a 5 minute fix and am willing to spend time and money to study the right material.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Edit: In case it's relevant, I'm in England.

Here's one good source:

http://www.sixfiguremagic.com/
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To start, you have to decide your market you will sell to. Then you need a promotional package, that means professional looking pictures, professional video of you and your audiences enjoying your work. Next a website that tells what value you bring to you potential clients to hire you.

Next is prospecting for clients.

Finally selling to those clients in person, by telephone, by email, by regular mail.

Learn to close every deal. Script your sales pitch, and learn to overcome objections that may arise form the clients.

As far as you setting up a business, contact an attorney, an accountant, and any other professionals you need for your business plan.

Get a good Contact Management program, learn it and use it daily, there will be a big learning curve here.

Finally, always believe in yourself.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Thank you Doug and Bill.

Has anyone used this package that Doug linked? It's by a magician named Lou Serrano and could be what I need.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2016, Yuan Moons wrote:
Thank you Doug and Bill.

Has anyone used this package that Doug linked? It's by a magician named Lou Serrano and could be what I need.

Lou Serrano has been an active member of the Magic Café over the past few years, and if you search for posts mentioning his last name (search for "Serrano" on TMC, and even specifically in the Tricky Business area), then you'll find reviews of his course.

Here's one:

Magic Café thread titled... Lou Serrano Marketing Course - An Honest Review

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Keith Raygor
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
968 Posts

Profile of Keith Raygor
Though I have not seen this particular course, Lou is one of the few I would trust for his information and his acumen.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Jamie Grant wrote an excellent book called The Approach.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Help Setting Up A Business As A Walkaround Magician (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL