The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Number of books (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Another question would be how many magic books have you read ?
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Or rather, out of how many [number] books you own, how many [number] have you read?
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
I've read about 300. ANd thoroughly studied around 50.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
199 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
About 80 actual books. Plus about a 60 e-books (love those llepub sales...). If we count magazines including digital subscriptions a few thousand...(thats mostly a Genii subscription that includes over 800 back issues and the digital Sphinx from Lybrary.com has almost as many...
Jefferson
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Jefferson
About 80 very carefully chosen books.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Hi Jefferson,
Your list would be very useful to beginners (and others).
I really think that a one hundred books list is a far more interesting thing than an only desert book answer.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Personally, I have a 300 books list, carefully chosen and organized (order, themes) : basics, technique, theories, masters, répertoire for different venues…
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Just doing the list took me 60 hours of work, research and thinking.
Lempereur
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Lempereur
"He who dies with the most toys..............WINS!"
Cordially Yours,

Jim Rose
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
The number of books in itself means nothing to me. Their contents only have importance. It is not a collection drive. Maybe a knowledge drive. To achieve a high level of proficiency in conceiving and showing convincing and meaningful magic, we need a huge background not only in our field but in a lot of other matters too.
And again, a huge library is only a tool. But a wonderful and necessary one. In no way it is a toy.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
As magic in a artful expression is not a game.
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
I have about 35 books and 50 or so e-books. My magic DVD collection on the other hand, is getting up to near 200.

Brian
Lempereur
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Lempereur
My books and dvds are reaching divorce levels.
I have to hide everything that comes in!
Its not the buying that's the problem, its the storage space!

I cant help myself!
I recently bought a huge swath of the magazine Abracadabra in hardback, 68 volumes. Vol 26 to 89. from an estate.
The estate had a complete set but the rest of the collection was individual 24page issues. Too much trouble to store
and access.

I am now on a quest to finish off the set!
Cordially Yours,

Jim Rose
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2614 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I haven't counted in a long time. In my office I have 105 unique titles, but I've got several boxes of books in storage still from my last move. I am working on building up a nice working library. Currently severely lack in shelving and space, though. Told the wife that when we move (which will hopefully be in the next few months) we need to dedicate a room to a library.

I can't remember the ratio of books in storage that I have not yet read, but I do have a "To Read" shelf with about 20 books now I think. The rest, in my office, I have read cover-to-cover.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2017, Lempereur wrote:
I cant help myself! ...

That is exactly what I'm thinking when L&L runs a DVD sale. Smile

Brian
RichardIngram
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of RichardIngram
I probably have 150 or so. I have read most of them, I have studied 10 or so.
Nosslrak
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Nosslrak
Only around 60, not counting booklets, but they are all quality books (Neo Magic Artistry, The Books of Wonder, Greater Magic...).
Hondo88
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Hondo88
I am glad to know I am not alone in my quest to accumulate quality magic books and booklets. I have about 60+ books that are frequently mentioned on the Café as having quality material in them. My problem is having the time to digest and absorb at least one item from each book. If I think about it too much it gets overwhelming. But I can't stop myself from buying books that get good reviews on the Café and other places. I feel like I am missing out if I don't get the book and see for myself. So I continue to buy and accumulate, telling myself I will get to them one day.

For now, it makes for a lovely library of reference when I see items come up in posts everywhere in the Café.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Hondo,
I feel the exact same thing about books. I'm always afraid to miss something. But the overall quantity of informations is overwhelming indeed. So I'm very methodical and take one book after another, studying them thoroughly. With a good method, it is faster than when I started more than 20 years ago. A huge number of hours is still needed to advance in this wonderful art.
And sometimes, as now, when I need to conceive a new trick, I'm riffling through a lot of books, searching for the best method or more ideas for the effect I have in mind. In this regard, a good library at my disposal is essential.
Rachmaninov
View Profile
Inner circle
1076 Posts

Profile of Rachmaninov
Another tricky behavior : when you read too much at once, there is a tendance to miss a lot of things and to loose the audience's perception.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Number of books (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL