The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Jack Carpenter's Ultimate Hold 'em (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cpzwart
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of cpzwart
Hello, all!

Just ordered this effect from dananddave.com. I was surprised when I couldn't find a single review of this effect prior to ordering, but went ahead anyhow.

The method is great and essentially self-working. Jack thoroughly breaks down each move and goes into presentation touches with great detail. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves poker-style routines.

Has anyone used this effect? I would love to hear what other's think of it!

CPZ
rjs
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of rjs
I think it's a great trick.

The classic poker routines (Marlo/Gardner etc) seem dated and less relevant these days as most of us play Hold'em.

Ultimate Hold'em seems very fair. The spectator is allowed to riffle shuffle and cut the deck.
He can freely choose any one of the five pairs of cards that he has dealt facedown.

I do have a suggestion to simplify the trick and make it smoother and more consistent.
Why even bother with overhand jog shuffles at the start? I don't think it's a good idea to introduce two different types of shuffle.
And you might make a mistake when you run the cards.

You could eliminate the first jog shuffle any case from the original trick.

But I prefer to eliminate both jog shuffles

Instead I do a false cut then cut the deck at a precise point with the cards prearranged in the required order , half on top of the deck, half in the centre of the deck.
(This cut can be achieved with a crimp or a breather.)

The spectator then takes over as in the original trick.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2017, rjs wrote:
I don't think it's a good idea to introduce two different types of shuffle.

That's an interesting comment. When I did this trick for a magician, after the initial deal I told him to give the pack another shuffle and he asked -- I think in a passive-aggressive-detect-the-method-be-a-dick way -- if it had to be a riffle or he could overhand. I answered in kind: "Whatever you want."

I prefer it if the second shuffle by the spectator is an overhand because if it's a riffle, then the spectator should cut to avoid being dealt two suited hole cards. Although it's hair-splitting, I find it annoying to have the spectator cut after the second shuffle but not the first.

Quote:
I do have a suggestion to simplify the trick and make it smoother and more consistent.

I, too, have a slight modification. I eliminate the J, Q, and K from the set-up. It's not necessary to use thirteen cards (as mentioned in the notes), and even though a Royal Flush is technically a Straight Flush, in the public imagination, and even official hand-rankings, it's classified as something of other.

Anyway, I think it's a pretty great trick, but I haven't done it more than five times (for real people).
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I like that it is played out just like a real Texas Hold'em game with the burning of cards. The shuffle after the first cards are dealt to the 5 players doesn't happen in a real game but it is this part that makes the ending seem more impossible. Excellent trick that isn't hard to do.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Just got the manuscript today. Fantastic effect! Easy to do, and high impact. Thank you Jack!
Bad jelly
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Bad jelly
I enjoyed reading this informative thread and will certainly purchase this now. Would I be correct in assuming it's available as a download? I'd like to see it in action. Cheers.
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
898 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Bad Jelly, this link is exactly what you're looking for: a video demo, a download PDF booklet as well as a video explanation by Jack Carpenter.

https://www.artofmagic.com/products/ultimate-hold-em

This is a fantastic effect. Btw, I sent you a pm. Might be of interest to you.

Mor
Bad jelly
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Bad jelly
Greetings from London ImpromtuBoy, many thanks for the Link and taking the time to share it. Really appreciate it. Be well
Philzimt
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Philzimt
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2018, ImpromptuBoy wrote:
Bad Jelly, this link is exactly what you're looking for: a video demo, a download PDF booklet as well as a video explanation by Jack Carpenter.

https://www.artofmagic.com/products/ultimate-hold-em

This is a fantastic effect. Btw, I sent you a pm. Might be of interest to you.

Mor

The Link seems to be dead now. But this one works: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......ownload/
Philzimt
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Philzimt
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2018, ImpromptuBoy wrote:
Just got the manuscript today. Fantastic effect! Easy to do, and high impact. Thank you Jack!

Does the method work with any borrowed deck (if I have the opportunity to stack the odds in my favor, of course)? Thanx Smile
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2021, Philzimt wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2018, ImpromptuBoy wrote:

Does the method work with any borrowed deck (if I have the opportunity to stack the odds in my favor, of course)? Thanx Smile

Yes, any deck will do.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Jack Carpenter's Ultimate Hold 'em (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL