The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Thumb tip? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Dorian that is sort of how I was feeling when I first picked up IT. I guess sleights, angles and acting natural help conceal the tip? Technique, practice and misdirection? It's funny, I'll watch someone like Jay Sankey perform an effect and be like what, how? Then he explains it and shows the tip, and I'm thinking that's so simple how will this even play out in a real situation, no way it will work. (Yet it fooled me so it must work haha.)
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
Rabinak
View Profile
New user
Czech Republic
35 Posts

Profile of Rabinak
Just do not use TT like youtubers. You can use different type of loading and stealing it.

Most importantly you should not be predictable!
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Jimhlou
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, jimhlou wrote:
Is he black?

No he is NOT black.

Mr. Ash is an old white guy who runs Mr. Ashes Magic Shop n Chicago, not far from where Magic Inc. used to be.

No one will notice a thumb tip unless you bring attention to it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 21, 2016, cbguy wrote:
Jimhlou
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2016, jimhlou wrote:
Is he black?

No he is NOT black.

Mr. Ash is an old white guy who runs Mr. Ashes Magic Shop n Chicago, not far from where Magic Inc. used to be.

No one will notice a thumb tip unless you bring attention to it.

I could tell you Mr. Ash stories for days. One of the NICEST people in the world! I miss him and Bonnie since moving decades ago. The most welcoming magic shop you will ever have the privilege of darkening the doorstep of.

Funny man. A great spirit.

I once watched him use a blue novelty whistle as a thumb tip.

And no he is not blue.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Danny!

I remember Ash Baboorian very well! --and, happy to hear that he is still "with us"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
EVERYONE should check out this short documentary about Mr. Ash. The guy is a legend. He's funny. He loves people and he got me started in this business more than 20 years ago, when he gave me my first copy of Royal Road to Card Magic. https://vimeo.com/86908002
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He started many. His was my first magic shop I ever visited. Not many compare.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
Quote:
On Dec 4, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
The classic story (it has been told here in the Café, a gezillion times) of Al Baker doing a trick in his magic shop for a "new magician" (back in the '40s!)tells it "all".

The "magician" liked the trick. He asked, "How much?" Al replied, "Fifty cents". "I'll take it." Al handed him a TT. The "magician" said, "It doesn't match my thumb." Then, Al showed him the TT that he had used in demonstrating the trick. It was painted BRIGHT RED.

There have been a number of booklets published in the past 60 years, about TTs, and, how to "handle" them. They're relatively inexpensive.

I am the possessor of the 'only' DOUBLE ENDED TT, in the USA.

I was looking for a thumb tip that has his color that looks like my skin.
After I read this post of Dick, I stop that.
Thanks, one more time Dick.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Tu es bienvenidos, amigo!

One of these days, I'll explain about the "double ended" TT.
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Dick,

Years ago I stopped by a magic shop in either Phoenix or Tuscon, can't remember which, just now. Nice big shop w tables for sessioning, etc. I remember I bought a TT and an older gentleman, who I assume was the owner, "adjusted" it for me. He used a hobby knife and turned it into essentially a dye-tube w a flap. Did you have anything to do with that, or is that in any way related to your double-ended TT?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
No! My "double ender" is......well, I'll tell you the whole story....

It was back in the early '90s. I was doing a lecture tour, and, ended up near New Orleans. I planned to spend a day or two, EATING! (What else does one do in New Orleans?) Tom Ladshaw had a small magic shop, so I dropped in to say hello. He was unpacking a large cardboard carton filled with Vernet TTs. He bought them in bulk, and packaged them himself. (Cheaper, that way)

So, I helped bag up the TTs. As I reached into the box, I grabbed an "uncut" TT. (Explanation of "uncut": TTs are "blow molded". Ya can't make ONE TT. From the molding machine, you "get" a "double ended TT". It's like two TTs stuck together at the ends opposite the thmb nail. The double ender is cut in half, and, now you have two TTs.

So, I grabbed the double, and, told Tom: "This is my salary!" He laughed, and said, "You work cheap!"

I have fun when I walk into a B&M shop where they don't know me. I act real timid, and tell the counterman that I had "sent to Chicago for this." (holding it so only the "nail" end shows) "and, it doesn't work!" When he reaches for it, he is surprised! and, then breaks into a laugh.

No! It's not for sale! (hee hee)
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
I remember buying a thumbtip many years ago (probably in the 80's) from Hank Lee's Magic Factory that had a slit at the top of the nail. It looked normal but you would squeeze the edges of the nail to buckle the tip and pull out the silk (or whatever you vanished).

I can't remember who released it... I'm wondering if it was Steve Dusheck ???

Dick's sounds much cooler !!!
Kleberdexter
View Profile
New user
Brazil
69 Posts

Profile of Kleberdexter
I bought mine some months ago its a vernet TT.
I bought that because the seller says that it is " the best TT in the world" ..rs
I like it, but I'm new to magic and I didn't have others TT.
The only " problem" is about the color, but after some advices from Dick it's not more a problem.
Brandon G
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Brandon G
I'll second what Rabinak said and suggest different handling.

There's a section in The Magic of Michael Ammar that's dedicated to 'TT Finesse'.

Also going to second 'Don't run if you're not being chased.'

The only time I've EVER been caught out is when I was too rushed to ditch. Had I just been casual, it never would have happened.
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2017, TheRealMagicMike wrote:
I remember buying a thumbtip many years ago (probably in the 80's) from Hank Lee's Magic Factory that had a slit at the top of the nail. It looked normal but you would squeeze the edges of the nail to buckle the tip and pull out the silk (or whatever you vanished).

I can't remember who released it... I'm wondering if it was Steve Dusheck ???

Dick's sounds much cooler !!!

Sounds like Flip Tip by Rocco

Richard
RayRannala
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
32 Posts

Profile of RayRannala
I bought my first TT from Tannens in NYC in the 70s after seeing a street performer doing the vanishing silk. I was really skeptical that this would work so I didn't use it until the 80s when I joined the SAM. I built up the courage, became a bit angle conscious and IT WORKED! I have been using it regularly every time I perform and have never been caught. I did have a few kids ask if I used that thumb thing a few times, but I simply explained that this was sometimes used by beginners but I have never used one. That response always worked. In more than 20 years I have never been caught. Use it with confidence and care.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Lonnie Chèvre in his Penguin lecture does some TT work including a silk vanish that had Dan Harlan fooled...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
I just found a VERY cool way of using a thumb tip for a specific effect. I'm not even going to explain it, but when I saw how it was done, I was like "oohhh finalllyyy, so that's how it's done! :O." It does involve some construction of the thumb tip, and might make it difficult to go through the airport, but I will say no more. Gaetan Bloom describes it in his Penguin Live Lecture.
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster

I second the Patric Page,doubly so if you recently bought a Bio-bender.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Thumb tip? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL