The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jeff McBride's masks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
Does anyone know where Jeff McBride gets his masks from? Where could I buy masks similar to his?
Thanks.
Sam

P.S. I am also looking to buy a cheap top hat. Does anyone know any sites, or would a nearby party shop be best?
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
McBride has all his masks custom made, and many of them are made of leather. None of his mask material is in print anywhere, he keeps them to himself. I strongly suggest you don't copy his act or use similar designed masks. If you do decide to use 'masks', come up with your own way of using them, which may reflect the designs on the masks.

Good luck
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I strongly agree with Kevin. Unless your using the masks as display only, then doing an act with them would only be a direct take off of McBrides classic act. Find the magic and style that is you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
He makes them himself if I remember correctly, but that is immaterial. Don't copy anyone else' act. Period.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
MagicSam,

Here we go again. If you cannot afford a top hat how in the world do you think you could afford the mask?

You do not post where you are in the world. Go to a good novelty or costume shop. They should have the plastic white mask you can use very cheaply. Only a few dollars a piece. If you go to a good holloweeen mask shop. Plastic molded inserts come in quality mask to keep the shap. Usually they have some left over as most remove the insert and throw away. See if you can collect a few of these.

That is the cheapest way I know of 'Free'.
magicsam
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of magicsam
Thanks for all the help. I didn't know that there was all that information just about his masks!!!
Magic_James
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Magic_James
Quote:
On 2004-03-27 07:28, -The Scot- wrote:
McBride has all his masks custom made, and many of them are made of leather. None of his mask material is in print anywhere, he keeps them to himself. I strongly suggest you don't copy his act or use similar designed masks. If you do decide to use 'masks', come up with your own way of using them, which may reflect the designs on the masks.

Good luck

Now Kevin it wasn't long ago you were talking of copying Jeff McBrides act. But no the masks are not just Jeff McBrides, masks have been used in magic for years and are used alot in Japan. Juliana Chen also performs a very nice mask manipulation act. Don't Copy what Jeff does but if you really want to do masks work on your own routines around them. But beware if you do use masks now you will always be known as a McBride clone.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Not copy, I was using McBride, Chen, Ayala etc. for inspiration. I came up with a load of things these people didn't use. I decided against a mask act because I couldn't be bothered with the whole 'you copied McBride', which you have just done!

(BTW welcome James!)
Magic_James
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Magic_James
Thanks Kevin
Been a member for years just forgot my old login!
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
If you are a member of McBride's Forums, they update you on various auctions of McBrides. He auctions off his masks occasionally...one auction just ended.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
KSMagic2007
View Profile
Regular user
Missouri
200 Posts

Profile of KSMagic2007
Even if he does auction his masks, buying them will only make you look like a rip off of McBride. Be creative!
Kyle
Magic_James
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Magic_James
All masks sold on McBrides Auction Clearly state by buying the masks you do not own the rights to perform with them they are basically a momento.
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Yeah that's right, it's the same with everything he auctions, Music states can't be used for any performance. McBride auctions things as souvenirs, not to be used in your own act.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2004-03-27 04:11, magicsam wrote:
Does anyone know where Jeff McBride gets his masks from? Where could I buy masks similar to his?
Thanks.
Sam

P.S. I am also looking to buy a cheap top hat. Does anyone know any sites, or would a nearby party shop be best?

Jeff, sells his mask in leather version on his web site for $175 here!

scroll down the page.

Inexpensive Top Hats have hit the market in the last few years. I call $40 inexpensive, you may not. See:

http://www.stevensmagic.com

He is the last one I remember that sells this cheaper version. If you are looking for really cheap felt or silk see thru, check a costome shop or novelty shop in your area. They usually run around $5 to $10. These do not look like real Top Hats however. You see them around at Holloween time the most often.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Well...I've never seen a mask act like the first one I ever saw.... find the chinese movie caled "King of Masks" (It may or may not be in dubbed English, but that doesn't matter too much.) The movie has a Chinese mask master on there. His mask changes are soo fast and visual. They are some sort of painted lighter material. Try to find this movie if you can. I don't think it is anything quite like some mask acts today.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Just a snack food for thought...Jeff said he got inspired to begin playing with the mask idea after seeing Richard Ross do the clocks and watches productions. That was the spark and the germ of the concept that bloomed into the legendary mask act! So...watch Jeff's mask act and be inspired, then plow some new ground and dazzle us all sometime in the future!! Go get em!

-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
There is so much more out there for magic that has not even been tapped into. There are worlds of knowledge and creative ideas just waiting for someone to use them.

We too often look towards magic for our inspirations. I say take a look OUTSIDE of magic. Looking at magic and other acts for too long tends to limit your creativity and lock you in on what others are already doing.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Jeff McBride's masks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL