The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First public performance (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
Hi All,Happy new year. I'm looking for some advice. I've been a hobbyist for around 15 years now and I love performing for friends and family, I have been asked on many occasions to do a stint at some dinner dances etc but have never felt confident enough to give it a go. I have decided that this year is the year that I get over those nerves so I have agreed to do a hours table hopping by at a dinner on the 21st of January. I'm looking for any advice on what type of effects should be performed and any more tips that anyone can give me...thank you in advance
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
AceFace, be sure to check out the "Table hoppers and party strollers" forum for helpful advice in this area.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
AceFace
View Profile
Veteran user
Ponta delgarda Azores
348 Posts

Profile of AceFace
Thank you...I will
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Just take 3 or 4 effects - that's all you need. Spend 4 - 5 minutes at a table and then move on. I usually start with the fire wallet and end with card to wallet - but that's up to the individual performer. Be careful with sponge balls and bunnies, if there are children present they will get them all gunky. Don't be nervous and just have fun and it will show in your performance. Jim
Mobius
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Good luck AceFace and congratulations on taking the plunge and committing yourself to a live gig. At some point you have to break away from what is comfortable and secure and start performing to strangers. It's the best way to develop.
I have done the same thing and agreed to do a wedding this year as the first step towards getting back into performing. It has focused my mind on developing and scripting effects I am comfortable with and I have started performing in situations that I would previously shied away from i.e dinner parties, christmas parties in bars etc to get more experience and test my material. It is certainly helping my confidence and making performing more enjoyable.

As jimhlow says "enjoy it". Not sure you can not be nervous - performing to a group of strangers is a novel experience and you are bound to have a few butterflies. Would be really interested in knowing how it goes.
All the best.
Mobius
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Mobius
Forgot to say thanks to Doug for pointing out the Table Hoppers and Party Strollers section. I could certain benefit from as much advice as possible. I'm a newbie so still figuring out where everything is. So much to read!
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
1. Only pick tricks you enjoy and are comfortable performing
2. As said above, 3-4 tricks is enough
3. You´re not doing brain surgery, you´re doing a magic trick. Who cares if you flash a card or drop a coin? Nobody! In fact, the audience could even like you more if they get the feeling that they see something that other audiences don´t. That is, if you handle the "mistake" with a smile.
4. Talk to people! Ask questions. Be interested in your audience. It´s NOT about the tricks, it´s about you making a connection to the people watching. Be friendly and happy. Think of yourself as a extra host of the party.
5. The first 3-4 groups are the hardest. Once you break the ice, the rest will go easy. Time WILL fly!

Good luck. Let us know how it went.
My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and went pro.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Very good advice above.Do what you like yourself.
And what your confident with.
Todd
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
I had a friend keep asking me to "Do A Trick" - after a while -I asked him for a coin(or doller Bill) - did an effect -then put the money in MY pocket- He questioned it- I said- 'this s my living- I don't always do it for free!! L-O-L - Ralph
bogie
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of bogie
Great post!
NWJay
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NWJay
How did it go Aceface?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » First public performance (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL