The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Magical Pants (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I wanted these pants!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/......500_.jpg

No size details were listed on ebay. Amazon seller listed item as S and wouldn't ship to Canada.

I contacted the ebay seller who replied they would measure in a day or so and send me details immediately. Several days later, still no measurements, so I looked again at the listing.

Now I had a glimmer of hope- measurements were posted for the pants- size S, along with a range of inches that, if accurate, indicated these pants might fit.

Then I received a reply from the seller, with an apology for the delay, and detailing the measurements as follows: Size: length:45.5” waistline:12.5”, stretching waist:17”, inseam:32.5”, hip circumference: 16.5”, stretching hip circumference:20” I dunno what you all think, but I'm not sure those pants would fit a skeleton, perhaps I digress. Smile

I replied about the conflict between the measurements sent to me and those posted under the item, something they didn't acknowledge or clarify. Their response to my inquiry over whether they could stock them in a larger size was that the item was "one size". Interesting Smile

Perhaps I could buy two pair and make one pair that fits, but I'm not going to do that right now. Thank you all for listening.

I wonder where they source that pattern. I think, really, it likely reminded me of Elvis' gypsy suit, and so caught my eye.

I've proceeded this evening, following a search last night, to purchase these instead:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFg5MjU=/z......dty/.JPG

I'm keeping an eye on these:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/qDkAAOSwNuxXaIvX/s-l1600.jpg

I quite like their gypsy, vagabond, voyageur vibe, and the pocket, too, naturally! I think they'll tie in well with the new set I'm working on.
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
I like the ones you bought best of all anyway.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Thank you very much, gomerel. They shipped today, so I'll have them soon! Smile
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Do you sew?
All three of these seems to have that handmade quality.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I do sew, but I didn't make these. A handmade, earthy look will jive with the set, though, so I'm glad to hear they seem to have that quality.

When I sew, I do so Smile with just needle and thread in hand, no machine for me. Might seem counterintuitive but I have no patience for a sewing machine. I was forced to use one in school in grade seven/eight and never could get the thing threaded- just made a mess, mostly.

I might post some pics of a bag I made and a couple clothing pieces I've altered with handstitching.

Thanks for posting. Smile

I've been looking for shirts, too, and now am thinking about shoes/boots Smile so I might start a new thread for the compilation of the outfit(s). I love costume design.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
BBCode is being stubborn again tonight so- my apologies- if you're at all interested, you'll have to click links. Smile

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/......500_.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z......Cp3/.jpg

I think I've solved this mystery, as elementary as it may have been. Smile A lot of times it seems, sellers just measure the item laying flat. They didn't tell me that's what they did, though. The publicly listed measurements are consistent if the privately mentioned measurements are doubled. So, these pants would have fit. Fortunately, I misunderstood and was not corrected and did not purchase them. > I've since seen some 1x2x3x available from another seller in what appears to be the same pattern, but the item was obviously lit differently or the image processed differently. I'll find a pic. Smile Difficult to say what the true tones really are. That's a risk of shopping online. Though, I've come across the same issue shopping from the Sears catalogue once in the past. Smile Needless to say, I'm glad I stayed clear of them, afterall.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTIxWDMzMw==/z......3Yv/.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDMzMw==/z......3Yt/.JPG
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I've been looking for some wool/tweed/"camping clothes" Smile pants, too, and found a nice reference item once again on ebay. All of the above were available from ebay, as well. I haven't posted direct links to the listings because I'm not sure the Café allows them, so I'll just cite ebay as the source.

Flax Jeanne Engelhart Heathered Wide Leg Cropped Linen Pants M Floods Tweed

These are interesting. I'm not fond of the elastic/drawstring waist, or their length, necessarily, but I do like the fabric and pockets and I think the background they chose to shoot them on is brilliant! Smile

Another pair of some interest:

DALIA WOMEN'S WOOL BLEND BROWN DRESS PANTS

When it comes to costume design, I'm keen on details. There's got to be some interesting detail about the item. That, to me, generally, makes them come across more authentically, more specifically to the character, and with more impact. The detail(s) must be consistent with the character and finding that is fun, indeed, I find.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2017, magicalaurie wrote:
When I sew, I do so Smile with just needle and thread in hand, no machine for me. Might seem counterintuitive but I have no patience for a sewing machine. I was forced to use one in school in grade seven/eight and never could get the thing threaded- just made a mess, mostly.

I might post some pics of a bag I made and a couple clothing pieces I've altered with handstitching.

reversible messenger bag.

---------------------------------------------------

These cords had skinny legs and you know I like WIDE legged pants. Smile

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
This next item was for a rock 'n roll 50s-60s costume contest. I didn't have a lot of time- about a week. Was going to be seen mainly from a distance so it's a little makeshift. This was a button down, collared shirt. I removed the buttons and stitched up the lower half of the shirt and stitched the button holes closed, and embroidered the top half of the now tunic.

Inspiration
Elvis Presley 1969

I made a belt quickly- not entirely happy with it and will redo it, but I'll put up some pics of what I managed to put together in about a week. I was very lucky to find some appropriate boots at the "Opportunity Shop" thrift store! I didn't get to finish the embroidery but managed enough to get around the collar and will finish it.

Magicalaurie's version of the "Cossack/Herringbone Suit" Smile

back center collar

I've got some pics of me in the outfit I put together, I'll be back with those. I wonder if I should show you the video. Smile Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2017, magicalaurie wrote:

I love these pants! I purchased them. Mine were tye-died and have a brown tint to them so I call them my grizzly bear pants. The legs are WIDE. Love them! Smile Might post a pic some time.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
Hey try Buddaful.com

Real cool stuff bought a jacket of there's.

You might want to ask McBride last time I saw him
He mention a cool site to get clothes.
Can't remember the name.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2017, magicalaurie wrote:

I've got some pics of me in the outfit I put together, I'll be back with those. I wonder if I should show you the video. Smile Smile

A couple of stills from the video:

More here, including a rough edit of "the video" Smile: https://magicalaurieblog.wordpress.com/2......etation/
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
For those who don't want to follow a link, I've managed, finally, to upload a bit on youtube. Here's the nitty gritty:

Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie

https://magicalaurieblog.wordpress.com/2......mock-up/

All feedback, questions, welcome, y'all. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Magical Pants (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL