The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Producing A Vanishing Cane And Thoughts On A Dancing Cane Setup (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
I was curious as to what the consensus is regarding making a vanishing cane appear. Basically just setting it up right in front of the audience making it appear as if it is slowly being pulled from the hand. I was also thinking that it could be vanished slowly as well unless you are transforming it into silks(although I have not tried this with the silks). It looks pretty cool in the mirror and if the atmosphere is just right I think the audience would receive it as magic.

Regarding setup for a dancing cane I basically made a gimmick that would run from the right front belt loop to the left front belt loop which provided greater balance (for me anyway), added to the effect of levitating, and allowing the cane to be manipulated with both hands.

I was also thinking about adding a black rubber ring to the gimmick that could be slid on and off quite easily during a performance which would allow for greater freedom for flourishes.

Please keep in mind that I am fairly new to magic so don't grill me too hard.

Thanks.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It is not a good idea to try to appear the Vanishing Cane. Use an Appearing Cane. The late Neil Foster use to Vanish/transform an Appearing Cane into a silk, that will work, or idea will not. I am of course speaking of the metal canes. Fantasio cane are another topic.

I can see from your discription you do not know what the dancing cane is so I will not comment on your hook up as you are so far off it is not worth any further comments.

Dancing cane usually go for $35. Ask your parents to get if for your birthday.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Sounds a bit complicated Caspar,The dancing cane isn't complicated but with your ideas it seems to have become that. I peformed the dancing cane in the middle of my shows. Jeff McBride had a great idea from one of his videos.. get it. it is McBride Magic on Stage Volume 3. He covers the dancing cane as well as other effects.

Getting back to his idea. It is to use a piece of velcro on the top knob of the cane to hold your "gimmick" . I can't really say anymore.

Best,
Eddie
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
Quote:
On 2004-03-29 03:58, wmhegbli wrote:
It is not a good idea to try to appear the Vanishing Cane. Use an Appearing Cane. The late Neil Foster use to Vanish/transform an Appearing Cane into a silk, that will work, or idea will not. I am of course speaking of the metal canes. Fantasio cane are another topic.

I can see from your discription you do not know what the dancing cane is so I will not comment on your hook up as you are so far off it is not worth any further comments.

Dancing cane usually go for $35. Ask your parents to get if for your birthday.

Actually it is a Fantasio Vanishing Cane with the Ultimate Cane gimmick. I can see why you sound concerned as far as exposure though. The Fantasio alone is not "fat" enough and requires the Ultimate Cane gimmick or I just got ripped off!

As for the setup, I was just modified the instructions for the gimmick. The setup I mentioned makes it easier to use either hand. But then again this is new to me so I may be heading in the wrong direction too.

Thanks anyway.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Casper,

Sorry, you did not post you were using a none traditional Dancing Cane. I am not familiar with the Ultimate. Is this the fire on the knob thing? If it is, this is not ment for a full Dancing Cane Routine, per the inventor who post on this forum.

Your appearing cane idea, I will have to give you the same advice for the Fantasio Cane. Fantasio sells a gimmick for the dancing effect, again I am speaking in the traditional sense.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
LOL, no offense was taken, trust is a rather rare concept this days.

LOL again, you mean I have to spend $35.00 for a decent dancing cane when I spent $45.00 for a Fantasio w/Ultimate Cane Gimmick. Oh well another one bites the dust-uh.

Anyway who makes a decent Dancing Cane that is durable and goes for about $35.00 - $40.00 Bucks

Thanks Wmhegbli.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
You can get a nice aluminum one that packs small (comes apart in 2 pieces for traveling) from Mak Magic, I'm sure you can find it online also.

I think I spent around $35 for mine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Try Fantasio for his Dancing Cane kit to turn your cane into a dancing cane.

http://www.fantasio.com

I do not recommend the aluminum because of the wieght.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Producing A Vanishing Cane And Thoughts On A Dancing Cane Setup (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL