The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hailing from Phoenix (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Hey All,
Been lurking a bit and figured I would finally introduce myself. I have a slightly different bent than most here (I seem to say that a lot) in that I come at this art form from a construction/builder point of view. I have very little knowledge in the art of magic and would be hard pressed to see myself ever performing, however my son seems to be getting into it so I figured I would help him out. I have experience in all forms of stagecraft (makeup, set designed construction, lighting, stage management, fight choreography etc) Been a manager of a cabinet shop, Manufactured prototypes for small companies. Anyway this isn't a resume but you get the idea I like to make things. You will most likely see me hanging out in the Grand Illusion or the workshop areas but who knows where my OCD will lead. Who knows after I finish school I may even be tempted to perform a routine, but don't hold your breath!! (even you escape artists.)

Dan
ThSecret
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of ThSecret
Welcome to the Café Dan!

You never know where you'll end up, the more you read/ new things you experience may end up making you realize you like things you did not once think you did. I've been finding that happening to me quite a bit lately.

Don't shoot yourself before you start Smile ... The manager of Dynamo knew nothing about magic before pairing with him, only that he "liked" it, so you never really know where you will end up. I would also suggest browsing other sections of the forums, as things can often intertwine, i.e.: learning a magic trick may also help you realize something about choreography or stage presence, showmanship, etc. As well it would give you a step up towards helping your son with these things.. How old is he, you don't have to actually answer that, but if he is old enough to use a computer - I'd suggest letting him browse some of the card sections on here. There you will also find great suggestions on reading material that can give you son a running start!

I'm sure you'll find your knowledge is stagecraft is able to help others on the forums as well. (:
"A play does not take place on stage but in the minds of the spectators."
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Hey Secret,
My son is 9 and so far he is only really interested in performing card magic (lucky for my budget). Thank you for the advise I am sure I will explore many of the nooks and crannies of the café!!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Dan C,

My advice on illusions is KEEP THEM LIGHT and possible to break down to carry. Your Son's interest in Cards will give you some time to check out lighter materials.

Also don't start building till he gets the stage bug. He may just love the Close-Up.

Meantime, follow some of your own interests in Magic. Your skills could support your own interests very well.

-Mary Mowder
Dan C
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of Dan C
Hey Mary,
Thanks for the advice. This is one area where he gets to steer his own boat even at this age Ill support him wherever he goes. As for me I will absolutely be exploring and helping others when I can!!

Dan
gimpy2
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of gimpy2
Hi Dan,

Look forward to hearing from you in the workshop. Even though you are just starting in magic your opinions and advice will be very helpful in the workshop. Not only are there discussions on magic prop building but tools. shop safety, materials ect.

Welcome,
Gimpy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Hailing from Phoenix (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL