The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Another Identity crisis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I found a small envelope deep within my magic drawer containing 5 cards and no instructions or identity.
They are bridge size and the cards are the four Aces. All with different backs (the old kind I grew up playing cards at my grandparents with) different types of scenery, flowers, animals... and the 5th card is a bridge size Ace of Hearts with a blue Bicycle Rider Back.

Any Ideas?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Twisting the Aces with kicker of all different backs.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Doesn't explain the extra A/H, mostly, I don't recall ever doing/buying that trick with that kicker other than Bannon stuff. That all comes in poker size though.

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Mark Williams
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
513 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
It could be a version of Aldini's "Eye Doctor's Dilemma". Al's trick used Alphabet Cards (Each card having just one letter). When the cards were laid out, they were placed onto the table to resemble an Eye Chart, thus the trick's name.

The original effect had the performer nonchalantly display the backs of the cards (All were red). A duplicate card with a different colored back was then added to the mix. After some byplay, all of the backs changed to the color of the duplicate card which had just been added.

I believe it is possible to do the same effect with the Aces you are describing. PM me if you'd like more info.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Poof-Daddy, The extra AH is to show all the cards blue backed as they turn over one by one. Then the four odd backed cards are shown as the kicker. I forget what this trick has been called, but I could research it. PM me if you need details on the handling. John
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
This sounds right. PM-ing with more info....

Quote:
On Feb 4, 2017, ejohn wrote:
Poof-Daddy, The extra AH is to show all the cards blue backed as they turn over one by one. Then the four odd backed cards are shown as the kicker. I forget what this trick has been called, but I could research it. PM me if you need details on the handling. John
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I believe that I had this old packet trick myself, many years ago. Five bridge-sized cards, one with a blue Fox Lake back, and the other four backs featuring four different colorful floral or pastoral photos. Mine was called "Nebula Card."

In the routine, only four cards are ever seen (although you're holding all five throughout). As ejohn said, one by one each ace takes a turn at being the only one of the four to magically turn itself face down (repeatedly displaying a blue Fox Lake back) in each otherwise all-face-up successive display of the cards. The climax comes when you then show that none of the four aces have that blue Fox Lake back; each is backed by a different color floral/pastoral photo.

You may already have gotten all you need to know from ejohn and inigmntoya, but if you'd like I can also PM you a brief transcription of the original step-by-step instructions.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Sounds like exactly what I have (although I still do not know where it came from) Smile PM'd you.

Smile Smile
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Poof Daddy, do you have Jerry Mentzer's "Packet Tricks?" If so, there is a twisting trick in there by Vic Trabucco (don't know the exact name, but it has the word "Twist" in the title); Mr. Trabucco's effect uses the Ace through 4 of clubs, but you could easily modify it using identical handling with your 4 aces. There is a beautiful convincing moment near the end where you turn the last twisted card face up again, and I believe this is what your extra AH is for....

Like Karnak says, you probably already have everything you need..... But just in case you have "Packet Tricks," check it out.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Well... as I was doing some more cleaning / re-arranging of my magic stuff, I found an envelope with a set of instructions that this envelope of cards must have fallen out of. The directions describe the cards EXACTLY as they are. The effect is called "BacFlips" by Norman Schultz (with a whopping price tag of $2.00 penciled in the corner) Probably a steal in today's terms for 5 sourced cards (bridge size with all different backs - one face being duplicated with a Bicycle Back) Nicely printed 1 page instructions (front and back) with illustrations and all wrapped up in a nice printed regular "letter" envelope.

All guesses were certainly good and even I had several different ideas what the cards could "do" with the right sleights and patter. But, it is a strangely wonderful feeling, to actually figure out "exactly" what it is you have in your hands. Smile

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Another Identity crisis (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL