The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Tommy Windsor Brochures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I came across an advertising flier of Tommy Windsor's. He was designing black on white single page brochures for magicians, design and 500 brochures, postpaid, $25.00.
What is most interesting about it is t
hat he had pictures of different fliers on it. The ones shown are:
Win Beaver "The Comedy of Magic",
The Teen Age Magician Ronnie Kolb,
Magician extraordinary Galiardo,
Dr.Winton The Third Eye,
Al Snyder (of Charleston W.Va.) ,
L. Strock Rupert's Movie Monsters,
Bob Corbin "Smiley the Clown & his calliope,
Buhla, Sarge,
Dick Williams,
Aldini,
and school magician Mars the Magician.
Some of the names are familiar to me. I knew Al Snyder. I had dinner with him several times. He told me that he worked with Houdini in his younger years. (I was in my young 30's at the time, he was probably in his 60's or 70's, so the timing was right.
Thought that it was interesting
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey Jack!

I had Tommy print my "first" brochure. It was $25.00 well spent! Tommy and I became good friends.

For a few months when I was "playing" with a pitch act, while I was in the Navy, I used his Dye Box. 30+ years later, when I was doing the Chicago Fest, for Keebler Cookies, I dusted off the dye box, and made up one from a Keebler Cookie Box.

Tommy teamed up with the late George McAthy, to produce the "SMART" books. Mine are somewhat battered, but full of good ideas that I've used for 60+ years.

Tommy & George "founded" the D.O.P.E Club. (The Deceptive Order of Prestidigitorial Entertainers". I belong! I even have a membership certificate that was signed by the two founders (with appropriate calligraphy!) that certifies that I'm a DOPE!

I didn't meet Tommy until about the mid '70s. George, I met in '47, at the old Thayer's shop in Los Angeles. George and I corresponded for years.
Incidentally, THEY never met!

Gee! I must be gettinG old! Naah! I'm not GETTING old, I AM OLD!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Dick: I knew I was old when my internal clock had me emptying my bladder at 7:00 am like clockwork, then woke me at 7:10 to get out of bed.
.i thought that might have run into Mars. He specialized in school fund raisers.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah! I picked up some MARS advertising material, years ago. --probably from one of Tommy Windsor's "advertising packages". It must have kept him working! We never met, though. I THINK that he mainly worked the Florida area.

I got that "I AM OLD" line from dear old DORNY, about 35 years ago. On Wednesday morning of "Get Together" week, I walked backstage to say hello to the guys who had been the stage crew for "ages". Dorny, stage manager "emeritus" was sitting on a chair in the wings, holding his cane. The rest of the crew were busy, hanging Dorny's old backdrop, and Percy's "SPECTACULAR" batten with the streamers. I grinned and said, "Dorny, you're getting old!" He grinned, and responded, instantly, "Not me kid! You're the one that's GETTING old! I already AM OLD!" I had the honor of nominating Dorny to be the DEAN of the SAM, before I was a member! (I told that story in the book.

I attended the GTG last year, after not attending for about 10 or 12 years. I could count on one hand, the old timers in attendance. Richard Hughes, Artie Kidwell, and Gene Anderson, were among them.

(P.S.) I like your internal clock line! I think Jay Marshall would have added it to his repertoire!!!
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Dick ... when I went back into magic after a 10 year layogg, I called George Schindler to shoot the breeze. Almost every magician that I asked him about was gone. I don't remember how I got this old. Then again, I don't remember what I won't into the kitchen for ow where I left my glasses.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I'm mailing you a few brochures...One is from that Tommy Windsor 'deal'.

I haven't seen George for more than a few years. I consider him a real mentsch. (PLUS a maven!)

When I get a few minutes, I'll write up the story of the three old guys, and Alzheimer's.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have Windsor's package. In fact, I have a whole box full of advertising and cards. I don't know what to do with them. I'd like to trade them off to someone who finds meaning in them, the way I did.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
MARS the magician was Alston Cockrell from Florida.
So I am an old timer now.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2017, hugmagic wrote:
MARS the magician was Alston Cockrell from Florida.
So I am an old timer now.

Welcome to the club.
It's good to know that at some of these guys are remembered. I googled the name and a small blurb came up originally from Genii, that he passed away in 2005. He had a full evening show. I wonder how popular some of these guys were during their heyday.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I used an idea of Alston Cockrell's, back in the '60s, before I started touring for the school assembly bureaus.

It was a "fund raising" letter, on one side, of one sheet. He had "distilled" the "best" and, most important "stuff" on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet. It "worked".

I would like to have met him. Apparently, he was of the "old school". --The "kind of magician" that kept magic "alive" in the small towns where Harry Blackstone never could play with his box car full of props. Frances Marshall said that those old "school show magicians" kept magic "alive" in those "one horse towns"!
Gary Plants
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of Gary Plants
I met Tommy Windsor in 1977 at the First Annual WV Magic Convention. I have a few photos of Tommy from that convention, one of him performing the die box. Here I also met Ben Frankliin IV, Bob Ellis of Vishnu Rope fame, and the 16 year old youngster Michael Ammar. Ben Franklin, I believe, originated the idea of throwing playing cards through a newspaper. He also did, on stage, a beautiful sand artwork to thr road less traveled.
One of Tommy's friends, Lee Jacobs was also at this convention selling his books and posters.
Great memories.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Tommy Windsor Brochures (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL