The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Reed McClintock (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Just wondering if Reed is still part of the magic community? Anybody out there know? He was one of my favorite guys to see perform at the Magic Castle back in the day and his lecture at the Castle was awesome. One of my favorite tricks of all time is his twist. Pure magic.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Can you explain what the effect of twist is?
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
It's commonly known as "Twisting the Aces," but he added some interesting work to it. It should take no more than two years of 24/7 practice to perfect it.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
If memory serves (and often it does not) it looked very like the Asher Twist. It was amazing.

Look that up and see if that was what you are referring to.

-Mary Mowder
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2017, Mary Mowder wrote:
If memory serves (and often it does not) it looked very like the Asher Twist.
-Mary Mowder

Yes, like just about everything in magic, it is derivative. Vernon's "Twisting the Aces" and Asher's "Asher Twist" seemed to be the main influences. McClintock changed it up a little as I recall (and my recollections these days are no better than yours, I assure you!).
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
If my memory serves... the McClintock Twist was a lot more difficult than the Grave Turnover ( renamed later to the asher twist)
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2017, Joshua Barrett wrote:
If my memory serves... the McClintock Twist was a lot more difficult than the Grave Turnover ( renamed later to the asher twist)

The "Grave Turnover "?!? What a great name! I have no clue what it is, but it sounds like a fun thing to practice.
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
The big difference between the two is that the McClintock twist is done up at face level so the audience is looking up towards your face. The Asher Twist is done as waist level with the audience looking down at the cards, which is more typical of most packet tricks.

-Brian
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Thanks for these updates. This has peaked my interest in the Twist.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I just received the DVD. I am so impressed! Love it. I'm definitely going to be practicing this.
kj
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2017, MJ Marrs wrote:
Just wondering if Reed is still part of the magic community? Anybody out there know? He was one of my favorite guys to see perform at the Magic Castle back in the day and his lecture at the Castle was awesome. One of my favorite tricks of all time is his twist. Pure magic.

Without revealing too many personal details, I can report that Reed is currently using his skills in a very different venue: He's involved in work that benefits severely disadvantaged people. It's through connections to this work that I've come to know what a great guy Reed is, and from what I can see it appears that Reed is both happy and effective in this role.
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Awesome! Reed comes across as one of those rare types who can survive any environment. He's a positive force in the universe.

Is he still performing magic to any extent? I remember another one of my favorite magicians, Dean Dill, stating that Reed was truly exceptional. Fun fact that one doesn't see written about both Reed and Dean very often is that they're both Veterans.

In any event, please pass on this magician's regards to Reed.
brucewilcox
View Profile
Loyal user
Readers advised to disregard most of my
266 Posts

Profile of brucewilcox
I do not believe Reed is performing currently, though when I run into him we have great conversations about magic and the community. I’ll certainly pass along your regards.
...in the Land of the Free, and the Home of the B'Wave.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1384 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I seem to recall a post from him on social media not too long ago, saying he was planning (or had already done) a show at Dante's. In either case, his main focus is on mental health work these days.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
He's such a cool person. Seems to always be encouraging others to grow. Wishing him all the best in life.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Several years later and still wondering how he is doing.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Reed McClintock (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL