The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Satin vs Mirror finish (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Hi All,

I am considering some cups and they are available in both mirror and satin finish. I have only ever bought mirror finish before. I like the look of worn copper cups with a patina and I definitely don't ever polish them or pamper them. Would a mirror or satin finish make more sense?

Thanks,
Bob
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
I once had very shiny cups.
During a show a lady to my left said she saw a ball in my hand.
I was at a loss about this.
Turns out the cup acted like a mirror for those on my left and could see a ball FP,d in my rt hand.
Think about that.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
I've always liked satin/opaque cups but ever since Mr. Schneider gave this piece advice in his early dvds, I've exclusively used or looked for non-reflecting cups. Seems quite wise...at least if you perform in very close-up situations.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
What Al said.......
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
343 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
Some people just don't like the satin finish, and I'm one of them. I'm not contradicting Al's advice, in fact I believe in it completely. In my opinion, Al Schneider and Tommy Wonder are and were the giants in magical theory and presentation in my lifetime. In one of Al's videos he mentioned if he ever bought another set of cups, he would buy a wooden set and then displayed an example. Reading in between the lines, my guess is he might be so smart that he only owns that one set because it's all he needs. Compare that to not-so-smart people like me that have two dozen sets in one show case. However, having that many sets, I need to let them out to play once in awhile. For close up, a mirror finish copper with an aged patina is the way to go, in line with Al's comments. In other situations, I will reach for a set with a different finish. I just don't like the satin finish when it is new or when it tarnishes. I have two satin sets now that I took in on trades will be happy when they find a new home. One finish that is "pretty" but is also "busy" enough to make it harder to see reflections is the antique bronze finish. I have a set of RNT2 Foxy 2.5 cups in antique bronze and another set with that finish on the way from a different source. I also find the black chrome finish RNT2 has to be dark enough to make it harder to see reflections.
Magic is where you find it.....
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Never had a problem with reflection of a palmed ball in the shiny surface of a cup.
If it happened once. No problem.
If it happened more often than not. Then it's a problem.
But I think I'd be working on blocking and script rather than switching cups.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Sometimes people are just too "nice" to tell you when they have seen something they shouldn't...

Julie
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
I've known people to go over their copper Sherwood cups with brown shoe polish to give it a dark look from the start. I prefer the natural patina. I agree more with the idea that your routine should avoid any reflection issues. This is why Porper cups are black on the inside, to prevent reflections.
jefkve
View Profile
New user
Orange County, CA
52 Posts

Profile of jefkve
I've never been a fan of mirror finish, but after the advice here, I'm POSITIVE that I will be purchasing satin going forward...
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Mirror finish seems to develop a nicer/smoother (don't really know how to describe) patina.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Satin vs Mirror finish (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL