The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Help with the Closer (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hi all,

A question for those of you out doing escape shows. What do you do for the closing effect? Especially in a low budget and small theater show?

I am doing a theater show soon with a group of other magicians, and I need something to end with that will stand above the magic and the rest of my set. Any thoughts?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
An escape, or are you open to other possibilities?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am not too skilled in "sideshow," but yes I am open.
Magic is like Science,
The Crap Illusionist
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of The Crap Illusionist
I have a show in Mid - March and for closer I am doing a Magic Trick while secured and then Escaping to conclude the trick... Combo of both...

Does this help?

Cheers,

Crap
The Crap Illusionist
Medieval Magician, Mentalist and Part-time Escapologist...
Member of the Leicester Magic Circle...
TWITTER: @CrapIllusionist
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Actually that is my typical closer of MY typical 20 minute set. I get out of the Straitjacket and am seen to be holding the card I failed to find earlier on the show. It is a good bit, and gets a lot of omg's and holy spit's etc.

This is a show with several magicians and I am looking for a power finish that the audience will take home with them, the straitjacket gag is good, but not as powerful as I want.
Magic is like Science,
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
It doesn't make sense to change what works, that you know. It can completely mess up your timing.

And you have to be careful not to get a case of jugglitis, where you'd just add something, and add something else, simply because you can. There needs to be a point to the ending, that relates to what went before.

Can the card be established as dangerous, earlier in your routine? It could be papercuts, or an unlucky number, or a suit that's out to get you. I think the card is the key.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Excellent point Harley, absolutely food for thought. Now to figure out how to make a "poison" card.
Magic is like Science,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Make the card out of pork
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Make the card out of Muslim !
Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Perhaps the entire deck is out to get you...the death of a thousand cuts. Only one card can save you, shield you from the terrors of the universe. That could involve a bunch of vols, each slashing at you with a card or two, while you escape.

www.bladewalker.com
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Could you demonstrate card throwing, then have a card chosen, lose it into the deck, shuffle that one deck into another, continue shuffling in more decks until you have a stack of a dozen decks mixed together.

Get placed in restraint and have spectators standing either side of you with half each.

The premise is they will throw cards at you whilst you try to escape. Once out you will go through the remaining cards to find theirs.

They start throwing, you start the escape. On freeing yourself from the restraint you look over to your volunteers and notice that they're out of cards. You look dismayed. Then a little cough and the card is produced from the mouth.

What a hero!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Oooh, I like that one Ros...
Magic is like Science,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Help with the Closer (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL