The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sankeys Devil's Tail with iLink; Reviews? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Sankey is now offering Devil's Tail with iLink for 22.95. This looks like a pretty good deal for the beginner, and even others looking for a new twist on the presentation.

From what I see from the demo, Devil's Tail looks like a nice combination of (finger)ring and string moves, but uses a cord/rope. It doesn't appear to be new methods, but it does look like a good medley.

Similarly, iLink appears to use a gimmick that Jay has presented with other of his effects - applying it to an iPhone's cable makes good sense.

I am considering this for the routining, but I would like to hear some reviews on the Devil's Tail routine. Anyone?

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I read a review on Penguin, and he wrote that Sankey's DV did not show a performance to a spectator (and apparently a routine was not provided)
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
Hi John,

I think Jay presented Devil's Tail as a modular routine. Like Spellbound, once you have your moves/subtelties/sleights down you can fit the pieces together in a way that makes sense. That was my take away from it. Plus, it's just fun to watch how creative Jay Sankey is.

I hope this is helpful, and not confusing.

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks Jim.

Sounds like a series of effects that you could just string together.
Did you like the resulting routine(s)?
I am trying to decide if what he is selling is better than the sum of the individual parts (since I already have many ring and rope/string sources, and many of Jays material). Hence, I am not expecting new methods, but new applications or new routines.

I agree that it is interesting to see how Jay takes various methods and applies them in different ways.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
If you want a routine or routines, you may be disappointed with this. Ring leader etc. would be much better. If you like moves, then this is worth a punt.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks, that is what I was suspecting from a review on PM's website.
From what I saw in the demo, the individual moves looked familiar - from earlier works of Jay, and Ring Leader.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
This looks more like an expansion of 'Home Alone'. I don't say that as a criticism but it doesn't look like your standard ring & string.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I think you mean "Leaving Home"?

and yes, from what I saw in the demo, I saw that effect(which I have in printed form).
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Jamie-boy
View Profile
Regular user
Berea, Ohio
186 Posts

Profile of Jamie-boy
John,

I have found that Jay is generous in his DVDs. Meaning there is so much material included that my guess is there is really something for everyone interested in the topic presented.

I know that this doesn't answer your question, but bang for buck, Sankey is a pretty good bet.

Jim
James Sievert
Sleight of Hand Hobbyist since 1990.
Bassist since 1973.
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of bosami
I own this and am very happy with it. Jay does a stellar job of teaching the moves and this brings the rope / string effect into the present day. I for one - never got into rope magic before this. Jay has made it much more organic and natural. The string/rope could very well be worn as a bracelet or necklace. He does not provide a routine, but rather outlines the possibilities. Instead, the time is largely spent on teaching the moves to numerous effects. I give it a 5 star rating.
...forever curious
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks for the comments. Yet, for now, I have put this purchase on hold.
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sankeys Devil's Tail with iLink; Reviews? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL