The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Back and Feeling Down.. (Need Some Help) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ari_R
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Ari_R
Hey Guys,

Sorry, I have not posted much, but now I think some advice and I don't know where to turn.

I'm getting some "advise" from my grandfather. He said to start performing more. that's all I hear him say whenever I talk about getting a job. I hate to say it, but I think I might be fading away from the art.

I think one of the reasons that I'm fading from it, is because, I don't have much interest because nobody around me can help me out. I know that I can learn on my own, but honestly, I really want someone to go back on who is nearly as exp as me. Someone who I can show my tricks to, and really give me the hard truth.. Not just a, oh good job. But someone to actually help me in technique.

Another thing, I don't feel confident to perform on stage.. I think that I can do mostly close-up, and I do want to do stage eventually, but I just can't.. I have no confidence in that area. Also, I'm 16, and I like to perform for adults more than children.. but all the calls I get for shows are for kids that are hard to control. I feel my sense of humor and performances are more for adults anyway.

I need a boost or something. Can someone re-direct me? PLZ?!?.. I truly don't want to end up as a part timer, if you know what I mean.

Well, Thanks for reading...

ARI
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi Ari,
it usually takes about three years for a small business to take off and that's probably the same with establishing yourself as a magician in a small town (I might add you've probably spent a few years gaining the skills beforehand).

I'd keep at it. At 16, you're getting into magic at the right age (I wish I'd gotten into it then) and there's no shame in doing magic part time for ten or so years and I suspect many magicians are the better for it.

I'm assuming you're out in the sticks by your post, so it's difficult to advise you without more information. Anyway, keep your chin up and stick with it. It's been my experience that many people leave magic when they're just around the corner from mastering difficult techniques and that's when they should be staying...
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
Ari_R
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Ari_R
Hey,

Thanks White.. I'm going to go to the Hank Lee Convention.. I might find some kids there to hook up with, It should be good, thanks again
Whiterabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
Kevin Mc Lean
278 Posts

Profile of Whiterabbit
Hi Ari,
on a personal note, many people get discouraged if they don't get to their big goal overnight, but I look at various little landmarks. If you go from only doing children's magic to doing that and restaurant magic in a year you've made progress. The next year you might do that and a strolling act with mall work in a shopping centre during the school holidays. The year after you might do some festival work. the next year you might graduate to doing only cabarets, restaurants, shopping malls and the occasional private show.

So if your final objective was cabarets and restaurants, you'd do it in a few steps. I sense, however, you're looking for the cameraderie side and professional feedback on stuff: I'm only small fry in the scheme of things - but I can give you some advice on the intermediate stuff and a little on the business side if you want to PM me.
May your fingers never lose their deftness,

May your tongue always lead them down the garden path...

Regards,

Whiterabbit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Back and Feeling Down.. (Need Some Help) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL