The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Which of these are truth, and falsehood, thanks, Ed. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
I hope I'm not giving anything away in this post. I have however have seen stuff like this stuff posted here in the Escape Artist Section, (The Myth Post). I'm wondering as Houdini's nude jail breaks (plus his under-water packing crate escape which I feel far surpasses the Water Torture Cell by the way) are my absolute favorites that he did. Don't give out the secrets, but just help me seperate fact from fiction if you will. I know some are pretty obviously inacurate. Like at first, his regurgitation I believed, then I didn't believe, until talking to a well-known escape artist B.J. Locke (I think), who him, and more or less his grown son are escapologists, said that they talked to someone who personally knew Houdini's brother Hardeen, and Hardeen I guess said that Houdini could in fact regurgitate. I hear however some of those jail keys (I go along with the method that Houdini used impressions by the also, plus Sidney Radner HIMSELF showed the method on T.V. with putty) were like 6 inches long, and were thick too.

It just seems like an impossible feat. I DON'T under ANY circumstance believe that he EVER bribed the police to unlock him or slip him a key like so many people do. I follow a lot of the writing of Walter B. Gibsons because he had Houdini's ACTUAL WRITTEN NOTES on escapes, and so on. I think his "Yellow Book" "Houdini's Magic & Escapes" is pure gold. I will admit however some of the methods seem far-fetched and just not logically sound and (or) workable. But picture it. He is thoroughly examined, PLUS the cell his searched as well prior to his escapes. Now on that premise there are ONLY a few certain places I think that you could his the key that you made by getting an impression. I don't believe that he put some man in front of the cell with a key attached to the guys back, because just one wrong move from the guy, the keys un-sticking etc., and Houdini's career would've been over. The regurgitation method would only be pratical I think for maybe the smaller keys. I've also heard of hollow helled shoes too.

Now in the pictures I see he is wearing a loin-cloth. So like in detail how was the search done. The way I got the impression was this. I think he was in a private doctor's quarter's all-together no wear near the cell when he was searched. I believe at the very least two doctors, and the warden were present during the search. I believe they made him take off everything, and search him EVERYWHERE, a comb through the hair, in the ears, the hair, behind the ears, in the mouth, in the rectum, in the ears, inside the nose, beteween the toes, basically EVERY CONCEIVABLE place on or in the body. Then they gave him the underwear that THEY provided. Then they walked him to the cell he was to escape from all the while being watched like a hawk. I believed they did the shackling either in the doctor's room, in his cell, or in front of his cell, and then they locked him up. that's how I've always pictured the procedure. Please tell if that "exactly how the search went down please". I'm also sure it may have varied too depending on where he was, what jail, what city etc.?

Okay rationally, thinking about it from that perspective. I think out of all of those methods, the most probable are:

1. Having a key wrapped in a wad of paper with sticky stuff on it facing upward that was planting there "as trash" perhaps by himself or a secret, or not secret assistant. Then he stepped on it, on the way back to his cell.
2. Regurgitation.
3. Possibly they might've let him add his own cuffs & padlocks, that may have been hollowed out, and he had stuff hidden in there.
4. Slipped to him in a good bye kiss or handshake perhaps.
5. After the cell being searched and perhaps before he was led away to the search room, he stuck the key/pick, under the lock-casing itself.
6. Hidden in a false th**b, or fi**er.
7. Hidden VERY, VERY, well in the cell before hand.

Out of those options I listed, it seems like those would be the most probable & pratical. Keep in mind, I don't know the size of the keys, or much about jails. Houdini did say that examiners frequently over-looked the bottoms of the feet. Like I said, I've read a few of his biographies, but I know very, very little on nude jail escapes. You can P.M. me if you like. I'm NOT neccessarily asking for secrets, and I've tried not to disclose, except to the point where I've seen his methods exposed on this site, that is pretty much public knowledge anyways. I apologize if I "talked too much". Its hard though to get my point across on this subject without going into a little detail. Please just help me seperate fact from fiction. I know we have a few really good (Steve Santini in particular...I hope you're reading this Steve..lol), and others I'm sure. Thanks for helping me out, on what is true, false, probable ... ect on this subject. I hope this post gets good discussion, and thought-provoking though, Ed, (Eddini).

1. A Latex type of skin such as needle through the arm...ect.
2. In a skin-pocket in his scalp due to apparent childhood diving accident
3. Slipped to him in a glass of water brought to him by a secret assistant.
4. In his own trick (hollowed-out) padlock or handcuffs of his own where he could store picks/keys.
5. By shaking the last persons hand, of a secret friend.
6. In the cell before hand, although I believe it was searched prior to him escaping.
7. In the roof of mouth held by gum, or wax.
8. Rugurgitated them.
9. Bottom of foot, at the outset.
10. Slipped by a kiss by Bess.
11. Rectum (although I doubt it because he was searched there as well I believe).
12. In hair after hair was searched via wax.
13. Under jail lock casing vis wax as he examined the lock.
14. Th**b tip, or f**ger.
15. On guys back who stood in front of cell, that Houdini previously pinned key.
16. In a piece if paper with wax he would step on as he went into cell.
17. In the bottom of cork in toilet bowl.

Posted: Apr 1, 2004 12:15pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh yes, the hair method. I can see him using as well, because his hair was so bushy, thick, and kind of flat in shape. Thanked again, Ed, (Eddini).
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Dear Ed

None of the above.

You'll find "Cell Escape: The Real Secret" by the late David DeVal a very interesting read.

The escapes made by Houdini from UK Cells didn't involve his own concealement devices, just a few pairs of the current (then) regulation cuffs, a searched cell, a searched Houdini, and no confederates or outside assistance. In the early 1980's David duplicated some of Houdini's escapes from the very same cells that Houdini had escaped from years earlier! Mostly police station cells, sometimes a cell in the cellar of a town hall. And yes, the original keys are long and heavy, and the locks used at the time could not be opened by "pieces of fine wire, tiny picks and levers" (as one author recently mentioned!). Conditions varied from country to country, of course, but Houdini was basically able to use the same methodology for all his cell escapes in the UK, US and Europe (the US being a slightly different challenge). There are other posts and comments on this subject at the Café which I think you'll find interesting. If you want to know more, please PM me.

Regards

Riley

Above book can be found on:

http://www.topsecretmagic.co.uk/main.html

Escapology section £40 sterling

Regards

Riley
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Yes thanks, I live in the U.S.A., and I tried (Hank Lee's) my Magic Dealer, and they said that since David De-val had passed away it would be difficult getting his books. One method too was putting a splinter in the lock at a certain place whereas when you shut the door, it won't completey latch, (lock). I read a story where Houdini was with Hardeen his brother, and Houdini accepted at last minute the jail escape, and as he was being strip-searched Hardeen took a piece of notebook paper balled it up, and put it in the lock, while everyone's attention was on Houdini. Again I know VERY LITTLE, about locks, but maybe certain locks that can be done...again I'm not at all sure. I know too that Houdini was be strippe search at times for just handcuff escapes alone like in a backroom of a police station. Those methods given above may be plausible, just for the handcuff escapes right? Also I was curious, it would say "his mouth SEWN up". That sounds crazy. Surely he didn't let people sew his mouth up, so why if all of his other letters of certificates were true would he lie on that? I'm sorry. I've read like 8 of his Biographies, with (The Man Who Could Walk Through Walls, by Gresham) being my favorite, and I thought that I knew most of his secrets especially from the works by Walter B. Gibson who had exclusive rights to Houdini's most private notes. So it's like a "wake-up" call for me I guess....lol. I just recently in the past two years found out about a "hollow lock and (or) handcuff" with a part hollowed out to hide and store picks and keys, and come to find out, that, that was revealed on "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" years ago...lol. I'm not entirely new to escapes either, having, have done, lake, pool, and river underwater escapes..lol. So I'm definately still learning, and especially about the nude jail break. I'd like to do one, one day.
It's just that in one of the very few ways (amoung others) that Houdini, and I part company on a personality level. I have no "gall", I hate to say. I'm not too confident, and forcefull. I'm too afraid of rejection and the word "no". I'd like to meet up one day with someone more experienced in jail breaks, and "dealing with police departments" to at least help me "set up an escape challenge" then obviously it would be up to me on how, methods and so on that I do the jail escape. I'll learn that through reading....ect. I here Steve Santini's book "Concealment" is very good as well. I'll have to really force my self tp put the money aside, and get his address, to buy that book AS WELL as the De-Val book. Thanks again Riley, Ed, (Eddini).
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
You will not be disapointed with Concealments. I think there are 17 escape items covered for $50, so it breaks out to what $3 a secret? Its a no lose deal and these are top of the line secrets, not the kind you read and put back on the shelf. Each one could be sold seperatly for $10-20 in individual booklets. Buying the book is like a huge volume discount. Hope that helps.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
Ed,

Sent you an e-mail with some more info.
Would second anything written by Mike (KingStardog) above. I think he and I are on the same tracks regarding escapology!

Regards

Riley
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks guys, I'll have to check them out. It's hard not having a credit card or checking account to but stuff online. I'll need to get money orderds then addresses I guess. Thanks, I appreciate it, Ed, (Eddini).
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Did anyone see the two hour special on Houdini with the Auction by Sidney H. Radner? He was selling Houdini stuff a couple of years ago that Hardeen gave him. It was a great Special, Ed, (Eddini).
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
The "Mouth sewn up" reference was given by Houdini himself to his imitators. It was one of the conditions he made to anyone who was prepared to challenge one of his escapes. Houdini knew very well that nobody would be prepared to have their mouth sewn up, so he knew that he wouldn't be challenged!
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
HaHaHa very true. I think he himseld said he had his mouth sewn shut. To me I didn't take it literally, and figured he meanted SEALED up. Thanks, Ed, (Eddini).
shestack
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of shestack
Simply put

Houdini Created Houdini !

During his career he encountered Many jail cells he could not get out of.
& these were over looked Until he did find one to his likeing thet he knew he could escape from, & Houdini made sure to make all aware of his escape especially thr press.

The same can be said of his many handcuff challenges, Houdini encountered many cuffs just as any escapist does during a career, that he knew he could Not get out of so again you move on & Hope to find cuffs you can get out of OR you create the illusion of escaping a Challenge cuff.
In other words to exploit the Moment.

One of Houdinis greatest challenges was staying ahead of all who were stealing his material.....

Shestack
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
EXACTLY!!!!!I think I'll use the phrase "Houdini created Houdini" in my lectures if that's OK with you.

He was the King of exploitation, and a publicity genius. That's why we only get to read about all the good things that happened to him. The newspapers were pleased that he sold papers, so they would have been on his side, and I'm sure if he refused an escape, it would be reported in a positive way, so as not to ruin his selling power.He could have said "The cuffs wouldn't fit my wrists" or "I couldn't fit in that box" etc.

Regarding escape methods, I am pretty sure that he kept a few ideas just for himself, only his close aides would have known, and he made them all sign secrecy documents.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
I think it was David Deval who once said "Houdini became the figment of his own imagination" This snowballs on and on, even today he can not be topped. So this must lead on to the question "If you want to aspire to Houdini`s hieghts in the field of escapology,,,then you must wait until the public have finished with him,,and they hav`nt yet.

So to make a good living from this art is all anyone could ask or wish for.

Old Music Hall saying "There will never be another" !

Ken
GreatWizardoftheEast
View Profile
Regular user
Knoxville, TN
124 Posts

Profile of GreatWizardoftheEast
I wonder if the lack of sales for the Houdini book by Bill Kalush is a sign that lay people are tiring of Houdini?
Harold White
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
David Deval probably missed by mile on his statement about Houdini. Houdini walked the walk. Houdini was more than just an escape artist. He was a legend in his own lifetime.

As for Houdini still being popular, you just have to check any auctions with Houdini material in it. Prices have yet to level off. Also, with new movies and books by or about Houdini coming out every year, Houdini will still be popular for at least another 2 generations.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Thanks everyone for your input. Now at the VERY HEAD of this I listed places from ALL EIGHT Biographies on him (The BEST being by William Lindsay Gresham, J.C. Cannel, and ESPECIALLY Houdini's Escapes & Magic by Walter Gibson). Of course I know there were wrong about a lot of stuff, BUT they were right about a lot of stuff too. Like I KNOW in Cannel's book, how he said the Under Water Paching Box Escape wasn't true, and when writing stuff like that, and people think "You REALLY Do Know How Something Is Done", it is just IRRESPONSIBLE, and PLAIN DEADLY WRONG. Those just getting into escapes, they read that, think that's how it really was done, they practice, and if they LIVE through the practicing. they'll surely get killed during performance. Now that method I'm sure was pewrfect for stage, but NOT UNDERWATER. On the other hand, "The Belt they described" was REAL, as I've read that in more than place. Okay, a lot or MOST said the Hiding places I listed were "None Of The Above". While admittingly I know very little, I do think HOWEVER that

2. Regurgitation. (Only for Handcuff Escapes).
3. Possibly they might've let him add his own cuffs & padlocks, that may have been hollowed out, and he had stuff hidden in there.
4. Slipped to him in a good bye kiss or handshake perhaps.

were plausible places, #3 being the MOST plausible. As I said before my original post I had ONLY like a year ago learned about these padlocks, which after reading so many books on him, I was VERY SURPRISED I had never heard of them. Now Riley quoted this.

"The escapes made by Houdini from UK Cells didn't involve his own concealement devices, just a few pairs of the current (then) regulation cuffs, a searched cell, a searched Houdini, and no confederates or outside assistance." - Riley

I agree. I forgot Doug Henning and Randi wrote a book. In it Randi says the under the beds were strong pliable metal springs, and he just easily used that method, and that would fit Riley's statement. Okay now one method that has said that Houdini used (even in Kenneth Silverman's Book), that he hid stuff in his rectum. Even Wendal Gibson, Walter Gibson's great nephew (Before he passed he belonged to the Manchester 166 Richard Black Ring in New Hampshire) said he'd hide a key there. NOT TRUE!!!. He was often searched by DOCTOR'S who knows EVERY CONCEIVABLE place on or in the human body, and YES THEY DID SEARCH THERE...lol.

As I said I DO NOT mean to disclose Houdini's Methods, and I SWEAR to that. MOst is in easily gotten books the public can read sadly. I also get the other side too. IT WAS HOUDINI THAT WAS THE SECRET. He was a MASTER SHOWMAN, the BEST IN THE WORLD I think. So please don't think I'm disrespecting, him as a person. Houdini is WHY I even got into Magic. Being a Catholic, we (all Christians don't believe in Idoltry), so he was NOT a Idol but more as a Mentor in a weird spiritual way. I really connected to him. Him and I are very similiar. NOT in Ego, Confidence and Esteem, but we both fall in love QUICKLY, are sensitive, have bad tempers, are caring & compassionate, are Dog (animal) lovers. Also we both grew up poor, and we lost our father's at the age of 17. He's was my BIGGEST Inspriration, and to me, he was (still his) the BEST on EARTH Magician, but mostly Escapology & Advertisement / showmanship). I honestly think if he were alive today (I wrote this a few years ago here before in a different post) no offense to David Copperfeild (whom I believe in Polls as far as laymen is the MOST FAMOUS and best, I don't personally) I think he'd be 10 times LITERALLY, not double or triple but TEN TIMES more famous than D.C., Blaine, Angel ... etc. Ed, (Eddini).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Which of these are truth, and falsehood, thanks, Ed. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL