The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Predecimal British Coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RevConfused
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
65 Posts

Profile of RevConfused
Does anyone have a good source they wouldn't mind sharing for pre-decimal UK coins? I've looked at various antique places, coin dealers etc, but naturally they charge a premium.

thanks in advance!
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Coin dealers have two sets of coins: the ones that are rare/uncirculated/good quality, and they charge a premium for those.
They also have junk/used/worn coins and those are often very cheap, because collectors aren't interested in them.

The dealer I used to go to had a tray in the front of foreign coins I'd look through. He'd often have English Pennies ranging from $0.25 to $1.00. I could never tell what determined the price - one day I'd see a super soft one (barely able to make out the details) for a dollar, the next time there'd be a clean (as far as I cared about) one in the 25 cent bowl.

But they don't always put them out, so it could be worth asking. Good luck.
RevConfused
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK
65 Posts

Profile of RevConfused
Thank you for your reply.

We have an antiques centre down the road, but, they seem quite overpriced on most things. I think I'll look for dealers further afield and make some enquiries.

I must also get my USA buddies to send me some US coins as the UK magic dealers do make a lot of markup on them (20 half dollars for 20 quid)
drbuzzard
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
45 Posts

Profile of drbuzzard
It looks like you're UK-based in which case I recommend this monthly coin fair in Birmingham with a huge range of stuff on sale:

http://www.coinfairs.co.uk/midland-coin-fair.aspx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Predecimal British Coins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL