The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » New Late Night Idea... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
So, here's something I came up with. Trying to polish it out. It had more phases, but I whittled it down to what I think is the most effective sequence.

I'd love any feedback..Thank You

https://youtu.be/BeZNC_92LYE
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Looks really nice. Kind of a shortened version of Johnson's "The Mint" from years back. It went from a square piece of metal, then a ball bearing, then a flat coin blank, then a coin.

I used to do it and follow it backwards with the Johnson's "Silver Extraction" effect. It started with the "same coin" then a melted blob of silver "fell out" of a slightly yellowed (mine was) clear plastic walker coin (like an empty mold).

They really killed together. Kainoa Harbottle has a somewhat similar item that you could use to "kind of duplicate it" called Disc-O-Mystery http://www.magicofkainoa.com/shop/disc-o-mystery

Nothing wrong with what you put together, as a matter of fact the folded up coin at the end and the "toss vanish" of it was a really nice and unexpected touch. The rest I am showing you are just ideas I used in the past that worked well. (I also had my set done all in walking liberty) it typically came in Kennedy half IIRC.

the mint - http://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/mon......n-magic/

Silver Extraction (Vernet version) - http://www.vernetmagic.com/index.php?opt......emid=109
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
It looked good, but the spellbound at the beginning was a bit too repetitive. I think you should change to the ball, then change back once and continue. Maybe add a new phase in the middle to maintain the length.
Reality is a real killjoy.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I like the routine Rick. I could see you were having a little difficulty palming the ball at times (or at least it appeared so to me).

[NOTE: Poof, I won't perform The Mint because of that issue myself. My hands are so dry that when the palmed ball decides to "break free", regardless of whatever dry hands product I use, it goes like it's shot from a cannon!]

I agree with Zach that the ball-to-coin switch and back went on too many times, but other than that the routine plays well. Thanks for posting it. Smile

Jim
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Seconded on the difficulty hiding the ball at times. It also wasn't entirely obvious you were "squishing" it into a coin, and I'd suggest miming rolling it to turn it into the ball, so the symbolism matches.

It was a bit hard to tell what went on at the end - was that a silver shifter?
kenedho
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of kenedho
I really like the idea of transforming a coin into something else metallic. I think there is a place for multiple changes - as when everyone saw Ponta the Smith's spellbound routine few ever said "there're just too many changes back and forth I dislike it". What Ponta did differently, however, is that each change comes with a different gesture/motion, which makes the audience feel they're seeing something different with every change. And obviously also that changing a silver coin to a 'Chinese' coin is more visual than silver coin to silver bearing... and that he used a good camera with enhanced contrast.

I like the idea, but the routine is not dramatic...
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Thanks for the positive feedback and criticisms too. I love the idea, but I was stuck with where to take it. I agree about trying to come up with maybe a third transformation, then finally bringing it back to a coin.

@toaofquestions that last bit was just an image of a coin printed on photo paper..
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Rick, I think that's an interesting and effective approach to Spellbound. The "change of state" of the coin is something the audience gets immediately, as opposed to a change of metal, (silver to copper) or a change of country of origin (US to UK) Still doesn't solve the ending problem, however, with this change, even a full-circle plot, which begins and ends the same, is somehow more satisfying with the ball.

I have played with this idea in connection with a silver coin ring, as has Garrett Thomas, and others. Before those coins were widely available, I did something similar to what you're doing here, but with a solid "drip" of silver. From that experience, I can tell you that people react more strongly to the change of state than to the change from one coin to another. At least, that's the reaction when I do it.

Dr. Sawa used to take the tie clip from his tie, and change that into a coin. That always struck me as a good way to start.

As to other endings, I don't think this is the sort of routine where examining the coin at the beginning matters much. Perhaps it could be altered in some way that you reveal at the end. For instance, borrowing from an old routine of mine, you could grind down one side of a silver half so that it's a smooth silver disc. Proceed as you are, but to end, squash the ball into a disc, throw in a paddle move, and then change the disc into a half.

Or perhaps the coin ends up being a chocolate coin? Or maybe when the coin is a ball, it fits through the neck of a bottle? Or maybe it can be sucked up into an eye dropper? Maybe, instead of a coin purse, you carry a small bottle of eyedrops for that purpose? Or consider a sponge to "absorb" the ball. Or maybe your change purse is just a bigger silver ball, or a lump of silver, and to end, you just smack the small ball onto the bigger one? Better yet, do something that makes sense to you.

Thanks for sharing.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Some nice moves in there.

For, me, however, more than the repetition (which is way too much of the same thing), I think it needs a reason. Why is this happening?

A demonstration of why a certain coin was taken out of circulation?

Showing a supposed joke you used to pull on friends so they couldn't use a vending machine?

What happens to real silver coins on a hot day?

Demo of your super-strength?

A demo of some sort of "bar bet"?

Showing how you carry your change so it won't stolen because it's not recognized?

The beauty of the previously mentioned The Mint was that Alan Wakeling saw Gem Busters that rolled a Lucite cube into a ball, which was them flattened into a disc....and said, "Wait...what if the premise is that is how a coin is made". Sure there is an element of fantasy in the premise, but it took a trick that used plastic things no one had ever seen before and made an effect people could relate to with money...which everyone relates to.

I think the effect needs a "why"...a premise...otherwise it is merely a "look what I can do" curiosity.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I like the coin and ball ... maybe near a table or counter that would be a cute way to do a single coin "across" where you show a coin, squeeze, show the bearing - roll that - then with the other hand pick up the ball and change it back.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Rick Holcombe
View Profile
Special user
624 Posts

Profile of Rick Holcombe
Curtis,

Thanks for taking a look at it and giving such detailed suggestions. I have found what you said to be true about the coin changing "states" instead of changing into another coin. I'm actively working on this and I'm really thankful for all your ideas, even just brainstorming. It's no wonder why you're such a prolific coin magician.

Jonathan,

This is a great idea! Started playing with it this morning using a "turtle". A lot can happen with this addition. Thank you for watching..

-Rick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » New Late Night Idea... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL