The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball Beginner DVD (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BobMc
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
151 Posts

Profile of BobMc
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2017, gomerel wrote:
For all magic basics, I recommend Daryl. http://www.daryl.net. The sponge ball DVDs are excellent and inexpensive.

I don't have Daryl's sponge DVD but I have a lot of his other stuff, but this made me sad again. I never met him but I have watched dozens of hours of his material on DVD. Maybe I should check out his sponge ball DVD too.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Daryl was a friend. He was an exceptionally good teacher. You'll benefit from his material.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
There are a couple of good books (actually pamphlets) on sponge ball magic from Magic Inc. I know you said DVDs but still. Also John Carney has a "simple" sponge ball routine in one of his books and also on a DVD he put out a few years back if I recall. Audley Walsh I believe wrote (or had ghost written) the first pamphlet/book on sponge work if my memory doesn't deceive me, which it often does.
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
28 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2017, foolsnobody wrote:
There are a couple of good books (actually pamphlets) on sponge ball magic from Magic Inc. I know you said DVDs but still. Also John Carney has a "simple" sponge ball routine in one of his books and also on a DVD he put out a few years back if I recall. Audley Walsh I believe wrote (or had ghost written) the first pamphlet/book on sponge work if my memory doesn't deceive me, which it often does.

Hi foolsnobody, Thanks for your reply Smile

No, books are just as fine to me as DVDs. I did a search on google and found the two books you mentioned:
The Sponge Book by Magic Inc and Audley Walsh in his "Sponge Ball manipulation" Smile both books seems very interesting!

I also looked into the Spongeball toolbox by Steve Darci! truly amazing! Smile
jefkve
View Profile
New user
Orange County, CA
52 Posts

Profile of jefkve
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2017, gomerel wrote:
For all magic basics, I recommend Daryl. http://www.daryl.net. The sponge ball DVDs are excellent and inexpensive.

As a relative newcomer to sponge ball work, I'm very interested in hearing more opinions on Daryl's DVDs. Seems like the way to go, but would like to hear more from people who've purchased.

Thanks in advance.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2017, foolsnobody wrote:
Also John Carney has a "simple" sponge ball routine in one of his books and also on a DVD he put out a few years back if I recall.

John's routine is great. The explanation is wonderful. It's really the only routine I do.

I perform one other that is fantastic but it's a completely different beast: Chris Capehart's routine. It's hilarious and great even for a parlor/stage act. I saw him do it in his lecture and it was very entertaining. He has it on his Kids' show DVD but it doesn't have the same impact compared to how he performed it at his lecture. If you use your imagination you can see how great it can be. It's not really a "strolling" trick tho.

There's also a great routine on the "sanada gimmick" dvd that is very Slydini-esque.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
28 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
Just finished watching Essentials in magic sponge balls by Daryl! That's a gem!
The tips on proper use of misdirection is absolute invaluable and the routines presented is more than enough for me as a beginner Smile

The teaching on the dvd is unbelievable and you really feel one on one with Daryl! 10/10
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Im just curios here, did you watch vol. 1? Everyone loves sponge balls! EVERYONE! Smile
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
28 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
Quote:
On May 2, 2017, Dollarbill wrote:
Im just curios here, did you watch vol. 1? Everyone loves sponge balls! EVERYONE! Smile

The dvd is called Essentials in magic sponge balls but the content looks very similar to vol. 1? Smile
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Nice! Yes it does look like vol. 1
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
The Ben Salinas DVD already mentioned by Mr. Woolery is my favorite dvd (Magic Makers production IIRC). Paul Green does a wonderful routine on his "In the Trenches" dvd that uses both larger and small sized sponge balls. It is probably my favorite performance piece. Now I must add - Not for Nothing, but for many of my beginning years of doing close-up, my inspiration actually came from a fantastic and often overlooked source - Bill Tarr's "Now You See It, Now You Don't" book. (Tons of great stuff in that book. I go back to it often for ideas and inspiration).

Everything old is new again Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
28 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
Quote:
On May 2, 2017, Poof-Daddy wrote:
The Ben Salinas DVD already mentioned by Mr. Woolery is my favorite dvd (Magic Makers production IIRC). Paul Green does a wonderful routine on his "In the Trenches" dvd that uses both larger and small sized sponge balls. It is probably my favorite performance piece. Now I must add - Not for Nothing, but for many of my beginning years of doing close-up, my inspiration actually came from a fantastic and often overlooked source - Bill Tarr's "Now You See It, Now You Don't" book. (Tons of great stuff in that book. I go back to it often for ideas and inspiration).

Everything old is new again Smile

Hehe, Smile I now have material from Ben Salinas, Jay Noblezada Sponge, and Daryl Essential in Magic! The book "Now You See It, Now You Don't" is one I will look up on when I have digested the three dvds Smile Thanks for the recommendation.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
When I got into spongeballs I got myself: Patrick Page's DVD, Daryls Essentials and the first two volumes if his Masterclass on Spongeballs, and Noblezada's Sponge.

I got the most from Patrick Page, closely followed by the Daryl Master Class volumes. The Essentials DVD is great, but there's too much overlap with vol 1. Noblezada is fun, but I got more out of the Page DVD.
xandermagic
View Profile
New user
Denmark
28 Posts

Profile of xandermagic
As you know I am practicing my sponge ball moves Smile I like the standard vanish presented by Jay Noblezada on his SPONGE dvd cause it is simple and looks natural but while I am practicing it I sometimes get some doubtful thoughts like "would this really fool people"? I know what to look for at that makes it harder for me to practice cause if I see simple flaws I would assume my audience will see the same? What to do about this?
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
The hardest part for me was believing the vanish. In everything you do you must believe you put the sponge I'm that hand. Your speech, eyes and body all need to say this. I kept getting caught till I figured this out. My technique was flawless but it didn't matter. Also tempo is important
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Ball Beginner DVD (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL