The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Zombie Intro Ideas?? (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I'm working on a Haunted Hotel Magic Show and need an intro to set up the Zombie Ball Routine. Needs to be family-Friendly. I have been thinking orbs or Phantasm sphere but no great ideas yet. The theme is that a convention of monsters are staying at the hotel and the Zombie ball/owner is a guest. Thoughts?
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Dramatic questions that could help you: Why does the guest have it? What does it do for him? What are you doing with it? What is it? What happens to you if the guest finds out you have it? What does this thing want? What are you planning to do with it? Why should the audience care about it?
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On May 24, 2017, Necromancer wrote:
Dramatic questions that could help you: Why does the guest have it? What does it do for him? What are you doing with it? What is it? What happens to you if the guest finds out you have it? What does this thing want? What are you planning to do with it? Why should the audience care about it?

I love that last line "Why should the audience care about it?"

Too many performers forget that they are handling odd items, far from the sphere that the audience would ever come across in life and you have to find a reasonable reason for the object to exist.

Like you, I have written and produced magical plays and as I build the show, I make sure that the props play into moving the plot forward.

Any prop that doesn't move your show forward is dead weight.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Swap out the ball for a skull.
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I like silver balls over skulls. With a ball, there's no reference as to positioning. When you make it a skull, it is obvious that it is floating in a fixed position. (If that makes sense)
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On May 26, 2017, Amazing Binky wrote:
I like silver balls over skulls. With a ball, there's no reference as to positioning. When you make it a skull, it is obvious that it is floating in a fixed position. (If that makes sense)

Depends if the skull is made correctly​ for the zombie. I know they sell them, I've not seen one. Skull would be a shorter routine, but maybe a spookier one.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Why not say you found this silver orb in the lost and found. it was an item left from a previous guest that has passed on. from there you could do so called séance or that he's just taking control of the ball when you're trying to polish it. if it's a haunted Hotel I think that would fit but that's my two cents.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5157 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Well, you could ask if anyone has seen the Phantasm films, and the Sentinel Spheres that protect the "Tall Man." You could say that you think the films were based on legend and maybe that legend is based on fact. You believe you may have found one of the Spheres and will attempt to operate it. It can be controlled if it's covered as it cannot sense its whereabouts. Hopefully, nothing goes wrong...

For the right crowd, you may even be able to open with a short film and explain the background of the films. Warning...this is pretty graphic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kyNhk48Ig

Background:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasm_(franchise)
http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Sentinel_Spheres
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_Man_(Phantasm)
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
So where is this haunted hotel are they doing this for short time or is it always considered a haunted hotel traction.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
It could be a "witch ball."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_ball
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
It's going to be a one night only show this October, Impulse. Just a show, not part of any haunted attraction. I like offering fun things for families at Halloween. There are very few offerings that are family friendly.
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
224 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
I think the lost and found approach may be the best approach for me. Thanks for all of your ideas!
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Hope you have a great show and a frightful Halloween.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3828 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
Use Michael Jackson's Thriller and have a couple people dress up like zombie's and dance to it like a dead person would (stiff and disjointed). Then do the routine. That way, if your zombie routine fails the audience will still walk away amused and satisfied. The magician doesn't always have to be the star of the show.
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Zombie Intro Ideas?? (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL