The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Ernie Heldman: A Pioneer Of TV Magic in St. Louis (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Here is an interesting article about a Magician I watched as a youngster growing up in St. Louis who had a PROFOUND influence on me.

Ernie Heldman was one of the pioneers of TV Magic in the US.

http://www.jonnieking.net/gpage32.html
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for sharing! Great article and a very cool website!!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
You're welcome, Michael Baker.

It was great growing up in St. Louis......such a RICH Magic scene there!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I just saw a copy of a manuscript written by Earnie on doing magic on television. Dated but very insightful.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes, I agree with everyone above. I never got to meet Ernie, but, wish that I had. I never did much TV work (well, BOZO in Chicago!) but, I bought some of his "stuff" and, it was obvious that he KNEW!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ernie was a big part of what I call the "St. Louis Cavalcade of Magicians".........part of a rich heritage of some of the gentlemen whom, to this day, I believe were some of the greatest magicians in the US.

Those magicians included Bro. John Hamman, Roy Mayer, Gene DeVoe, John Mendoza, Will Lindhorst, Michael O'Dowd, Don Lawton, Bud Dietrich, Harry Monti, Dan Fleshman, James Holmes, Harold Russel, Steve Bender (Ickle Pickle), and many many more.

Imagine hanging around with these guys growing up in St. Louis! I was LUCKY!!
James Holmes
View Profile
New user
Branson, MO
5 Posts

Profile of James Holmes
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2017, Rainboguy wrote:
Ernie was a big part of what I call the "St. Louis Cavalcade of Magicians".........part of a rich heritage of some of the gentlemen whom, to this day, I believe were some of the greatest magicians in the US.

Those magicians included Bro. John Hamman, Roy Mayer, Gene DeVoe, John Mendoza, Will Lindhorst, Michael O'Dowd, Don Lawton, Bud Dietrich, Harry Monti, Dan Fleshman, James Holmes, Harold Russel, Steve Bender (Ickle Pickle), and many many more.

Imagine hanging around with these guys growing up in St. Louis! I was LUCKY!!

Wow! Thanks for including my name on that list. Yes, St. Louis was a great place to grow up doing magic.... We also had some great Magic Shops and Dealers over the years!
Author - Fantasio Cane & Candle Book No. 4
Inventor - One Handed Vanishing Cane to Silk
Developer - Magic Collection Software
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
843 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Ernie Heldman's cleanup for OOTW was in one of Jon Racherbaumer's early publications; I believe Heirophant. (SP?)
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I found this VERY rare video clip of Ernie Heldman on YouTube this morning.....enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAniniuB6Sg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Ernie Heldman: A Pioneer Of TV Magic in St. Louis (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL