The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Help needed translating old English spell book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
The Newberry Library has an ancient spell book that they need help translating – they are seeking input from people online:

http://publications.newberry.org/dig/rc-transcribe/charms
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
769 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Oops - I see that Morgaine already posted this info - but hey, nice to know that there are still a few of us looking for new topics huh 😃
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Hmmmmm, reminds me something...
ProfessorMagicJMG
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of ProfessorMagicJMG
Download the .pdf; you will see quite a bit of this is handwritten in "Olde Englifh," difficult to read due to the hand but still quite legible. The Latin parts are no doubt copied from various manuscripts, as are many of the other things. This is a Magician's notebook, with a variety of diagrams, sigils, spells, incantations, rituals and other assorted weirdness. Haven't gone through it all but this is the real deal. It's actually so real it looks fake, like a Bizarre prop. The high quality of the scans makes it as legible as if you were holding it.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Clarke's 3rd Law

"Any sufficiently primitive technology can mystify a postmodern audience." - JMG's Corollary to Clarke's 3rd Law
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Help needed translating old English spell book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL