The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For the lawyers: a Lotto question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
A man in Long Beach, CA is suing the State of California and the California Lottery Commission because they refuse to pay off on a $5 million winning ticket (Story here). The reason that the state refuses to pay is that the man's son bought the ticket; the son is 16 years old and you must be 18 years old or older to play the lottery.

My question: does the plaintiff have a colorable cause of action?

I think that it may depend on the relationship between the Lottery Commission and the establishment that sold the lad the ticket. If the latter is an agent for the former, then, I presume, it has some responsibility to ascertain the eligibility of the purchaser. Because they willingly took his money for the ticket, there may be implied consent of some sort.

Of course, if the defendants prevail here, it seems to me that they should be required to reimburse all ineligible (e.g., underage) ticket purchasers; that might run to more than $5 million (if it's even possible to determine who is owed what).

What do our learned legal minds think about this?

How about all those other legal minds?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think that similar cases where underage people have won large amounts at slots in Vegas lost when they tried to sue. Don't know if that's applicable but seems to be.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
This is where Mastermindreader is sorely missed ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think not, sadly. Essentially the bet is void.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It may well vary from state to state, and the issue of agency, as Bill points out, may come into play. For that reason, it may also depend on whether the ticket was bought from a machine or a human being. Good arguments to be made on both sides.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There might also be a reasonable class action lawsuit against the Commission on behalf of any minor who sold a ticket by any of the affiliates. The plaintiffs wouldn't get any kind of real money, but the lawyers could make a killing. That's how class actions go. It's not about compensation; it's about deterrence.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For the lawyers: a Lotto question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL