The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Got some good news this week (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
As of the end of last semester (during which I taught 7 classes on three campuses) I had scheduled for the Fall exactly zero classes.

None.

Well, this week I was offered two classes in linear algebra and differential equations at Cal State, Fullerton.

That's not one class in linear algebra and one in differential equations; it's two identical classes, each covering both linear algebra and differential equations.

This is really cool!

First, it's two classes.

Second, it's two classes I've taught several times before. In fact, I received an acknowledgement in the second edition of the textbook because I helped the authors quite a bit in its preparation.

Third, and perhaps most important, I already have lecture notes, study guides, quizzes, exams, and supplementary notes written, using the same textbook (albeit an earlier edition); at most, I'll have to change a few homework problems and maybe fiddle with a quiz or two, or an exam or two. But for the most part, my out-of-classes work is already done.

Hot diggity!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Very nice! I'll be there Wednesdays and Thursdays this semester.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I'll be there Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Bill, if I had it to do over again, I would have gone to college - probably for some math courses - and I would have loved to have YOU as a teacher! Seriously. Best wishes to you! Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
Congrats, Mr. Bill! Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Most excellent Bill! What level is the course?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It's kind of funny, Bill: I thrive on the out-of-class preparation, and don't really like repeating myself. Back when I first started teaching in 1990, I used to spend ten or more hours preparing for a single 90 minute lecture, and I loved it.

But congratulations on the gig itself. For some reason I think you are probably superb in the classroom.

Do you ever squeeze in any magic?

(Since I myself am not a magician, I obviously do not; however, I do occasionally slip in something sneaky when I invite a student to the chalkboard. I offer them the chalk, do a French drop and watch their confusion. I have even heard some students gasp when the chalk is no longer there. I just stay cool and go get another piece of chalk. The only catch is that chalk leaves marks; you've got to be careful ditching it if you're wearing a dark blue suit.)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I, too, enjoy the out-of-class preparation.

However, this Spring I taught seven classes and had to prepare lecture notes, quizzes, exams, study guides and supplementary materials essentially from scratch for each. So I'm relishing the respite.

The last day of each class is listed in my syllabus as "Review for final exam and magic show."
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 28, 2017, stoneunhinged wrote:
It's kind of funny, Bill: I thrive on the out-of-class preparation, and don't really like repeating myself. Back when I first started teaching in 1990, I used to spend ten or more hours preparing for a single 90 minute lecture, and I loved it.

But congratulations on the gig itself. For some reason I think you are probably superb in the classroom.

Do you ever squeeze in any magic?

(Since I myself am not a magician, I obviously do not; however, I do occasionally slip in something sneaky when I invite a student to the chalkboard. I offer them the chalk, do a French drop and watch their confusion. I have even heard some students gasp when the chalk is no longer there. I just stay cool and go get another piece of chalk. The only catch is that chalk leaves marks; you've got to be careful ditching it if you're wearing a dark blue suit.)

If you pick up the new chalk with the dirty hand, you're in business.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Good luck, S2000magician, and have fun!

Years ago I spent two years teaching at Berklee College of Music in Boston. One of my favorite experiences was during my last semester, when I was given a group of highly advanced students, whose skill and understanding went way beyond the normal curriculum. On the first day, after introducing myself, I did something which gave me great pleasure. I held up the workbook for that course and said, “This is the workbook for this class. Don’t buy it!” And then I tossed the book all the way across the room and into the trash can!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
[If you pick up the new chalk with the dirty hand, you're in business.

See, now if I were a real magician like you guys, I would have thought of that. It's a great tip, John. Thanks!
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Congratulations.

Tom
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2017, S2000magician wrote:
As of the end of last semester (during which I taught 7 classes on three campuses) I had scheduled for the Fall exactly zero classes.

None.

Well, this week I was offered two classes in linear algebra and differential equations at Cal State, Fullerton.

Congrats.

I think its cute you are so enthusiastic about teaching. Smile (People here mostly won't understand where I am coming from when I say that. I won't get into it unless asked.)

I have a question though. You went from 7 courses down to 2. Is that just a reflection of the seasonal demand for your teaching? Or are there other factors at work (e.g. budget cutbacks in the California system)?

One more: I happen to be wearing a UCSB t-shirt at the moment. Have you ever taught there?

P.S., the 'its' above was intentional. My gift to you. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2017, balducci wrote:
You went from 7 courses down to 2. Is that just a reflection of the seasonal demand for your teaching? Or are there other factors at work (e.g. budget cutbacks in the California system)?

Several factors are at play here.

At one school, I was supposed to have had at least two accounting classes to teach (I taught four there last Fall). However, there were two full-time faculty who were supposed to have retired, but decided not to, so the classes had to be given to them, and I was told that there were fewer classes being offered this year than last. We'll have to see if they open up any others at the last minute (that happened in the Spring).

At another school, I was supposed to have had two business calculus classes. However, they decided to let me go, based on some students' claims that I was "never available" and "never replied to their e-mails". Apparently the fact that I held office hours every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday with as many as 10 students at each session doesn't qualify as being available. There are probably other factors underlying the students' claims, but I'd be speculating.

I've been back at CSU Fullerton only this Spring (after what turned out to be a 10-year hiatus, but with over 20 years teaching there previously), so it wasn't surprising that it took a while for them to get around to offering me classes.

I wouldn't have these uncertainties if I were full-time somewhere, but that requires a PhD. To that end, I've started enquiring at UC Irvine about enrolling in their PhD program in the Fall of 2018. We'll see what happens.

Quote:
One more: I happen to be wearing a UCSB t-shirt at the moment. Have you ever taught there?

I haven't, but I would love to. The campus is beautiful.

Quote:
P.S., the 'its' above was intentional. My gift to you. Smile

You're too kind.

But it should have been "it's". (I knew that you wouldn't be happy if I didn't accept your gift fully.)
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Most excellent Bill! What level is the course?

It's a 200-level course, so mid-range undergraduate.

The prerequisites are three semesters of calculus: single-variable differential calculus, single-variable integral calculus, multi-variable calculus (which also typically includes vector calculus and infinite series).

What makes this class so fun is that it's often the first (and only) class in abstract mathematics that these students will take. I love teaching the transition classes:
  • Beginning algebra (transitioning from fixed values (arithmetic) to variables / unknowns)
  • First-semester calculus (transitioning from unknowns (variables) with fixed values to unknowns that truly vary across a set of values, and from constructive proofs to existence proofs)
  • Abstract / linear algebra (transitioning from numerical (concrete, tangible) structures (integers, rational numbers, real numbers, complex numbers) to abstract structures (groups, rings, integral domains, fields, vector spaces))

I strive to give the students a solid foundation in the new ideas they're learning. In my experience, not all teachers . . . um . . . do.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Enjoy!

Speaking of vector spaces, do you verbalize R^2 (2-space) as "R two" or "R squared"? My "thinking mind" says "R two" but my "reading mind" is less certain.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
In my experience far to few teachers enjoy teaching. Even college level professors it is far too rare to find teachers who enjoy the experience.

I can remember those through high school who cared and can remember their names. The rest are a blur.

In college it was few as well. I went to a school with 100,000 student enrollment so maybe that was part of the issue?

Sadly much of my learning happened on my own due to my need to understand things, in or out of school. Prior to Google it was not as easy as one may think. But learning is learning.

Even more sad is not everyone is blessed with this need so getting by becomes enough. This is where a good teacher inspires, or should. For example I found economics interesting in the macro courses but the micro put me to sleep. Until my professor inspired me with his enthusiasm. I never liked it, but learned it enough to do more than get by. As Bill put it a solid foundation.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2017, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Enjoy!

Speaking of vector spaces, do you verbalize R^2 (2-space) as "R two" or "R squared"? My "thinking mind" says "R two" but my "reading mind" is less certain.

I think of it - and verbalize it - as R-squared.

That's not universal, I'm given to understand.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
More good news: I was just offered a third 250B class for the Fall.

This is going to be an easy - and very fun! - semester!
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
Congrats!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Got some good news this week (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL