The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » An old codger says Hello (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
Hello. I've had a lifelong interest in magic and now that I've retired I finally have enough free time to study it in a bit more depth.

I'm strictly a hobbyist (performing for family and friends) although I have done a Victorian themed magic act a few times in amateur variety shows a long time ago.

I've built up a small magic library over the years which is a mix of the old classics (Hugard, Hoffmann, Bobo, Annemann), some more modern classics (Giobbi, Harris), some lovely Miracle Factory books (Annals of Conjuring, House of Mystery), lecture notes, periodicals, and a lot of general books picked up over the years from used books stores. I also have most of Ricky Jay's books and a variety of biographies.

Age has dulled the hands so I can no longer do any serious sleights (not that I was ever that good) and now my thoughts turn to mentalism as an area of study, having just read Martin Hart's wonderful book Piddington's Secrets.
Livaudais
View Profile
New user
Europe
8 Posts

Profile of Livaudais
Hey Rik,

I've been considering adding mentalism into my repertoire also. I've always had a tiny bit but I want to make it 50% card magic, 30% coin magic, and the rest mentalism. I know a couple of fairly strong mentalism routines already and I'm currently referencing some Bob Cassidy and Richard Osterlind literature for further inspiration.

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum!

L.
Feel free to ask me about my award-winning pumpernickel recipe.
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
Hello Livaudais, thanks for the warm welcome.

I don't have any Richard Osterlind or Bob Cassidy books, but I do have a copy of Max Maven's PRISM, a reprinting of his famous 'color' books. There's so much good material in that.
Livaudais
View Profile
New user
Europe
8 Posts

Profile of Livaudais
I am a fan Max Maven, I watched one of his lectures a few years back and it was very good and learned some valuable things.

He was also good friends with my favorite magician Tommy Wonder, so that's a bonus. Haha
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
I wish I'd bought his Books of Wonder when I had the chance. Then again, if I had bought everything I wished for I wouldn't have any money left Smile
Livaudais
View Profile
New user
Europe
8 Posts

Profile of Livaudais
Haha, you and me both! I wouldn't even be able to send this message due to all the crap that would be surrounding me. Ever seen Hoarders? I would by magic props I wouldn't even use simply because they look cool! LOL
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
I remember visiting my first magic shop shortly after I started working and had some money of my own to spend. It was like Aladdin's Cave, full of wonderous stuff. It was so tempting to just buy as many tricks as I could afford. Fortunately the shop owner persuaded me to buy a few books and concentrate on learning methods, techniques and the thinking behind effects. He said it would be much more rewarding and much more cost effective. He was right.

I still wish I'd bought the Books of Wonder Smile
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome Rik Gazelle,

There are a lot of Mentalist here (and many beginning Mentalist as well.).

I'm guessing you've already found the "Penny for your Thoughts" forum.

So go have fun and remember to come up for air.

-Mary Mowder
GazelleR
View Profile
Regular user
U.K.
130 Posts

Profile of GazelleR
Hello Mary, tank you for the welcome and the pointer.

I've been browsing the forums for a few weeks before posting here and I think I'll find plenty to keep myself amused.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » An old codger says Hello (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL