The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Handout Hank by Puck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eugene Chekhov
View Profile
Elite user
~Magic~
453 Posts

Profile of Eugene Chekhov
Can someone review this trick? Thanks!
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9070
I love the magic & history of magic! My favorites magicians - Dai Vernon, Max Malini, Fielding West, Michael Finney, Jeff Hobson, Bob Sheets, Nick Lewin, Harry Murphy, Dick Oslund- great showmen of magic!
Eugene_Chekhov@yahoo.com
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4748 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Nice version. You will need to head to the office supply store and spend about $10 to make what you need. Construction is pretty simple and Puck walks you through step by step. Takes about 5 min. One time process. Not doable if you wear a tee shirt but if you wear a jacket or dress shirt, you will be fine. Handling is pretty simple once you learn to handle the gimmick. Pretty good release but price is steep. Probably more of a $7-10 download.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I prefer this:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9553

In my opinion, the movement is way better and disconnected than handout hank.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I got that one. VERY clever. Never really did it but very clever.
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
I developed Handout Hank to be the finale of my Dancing Hank routine. It was a nice touch to give the hank away without any fishy moves the moment it stopped moving. I realized this could be a nice stand alone effect and re worked the handling so the get ready was invisible and the finish was clean. I'm very proud of this and put over 10 years of experience performing it into the download hence the $14.95 price which I feel is more then reasonable for the years that went into its development. The reviews have been very positive so far and I hope it makes its way into many magicians repertoires.
jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
Buda, Texas (near Austin)
113 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
I have the DVD for the Incredible Dancing Napkin. It's a very cool routine, but the gimmick is really designed for a paper napkin and probably wouldn't work well with a handkerchief. Also, the Dancing Napkin cannot be handed out -- instead, it's crumbled into a ball and casually thrown away, which is an effective way of taking the heat off the napkin.

I'm considering purchasing the Handout Hank and regard $14.95 to be a very reasonable price for a routine and method that have obviously been thought out in considerable detail. But I have a couple questions I'd like to ask -- I am not fishing for the method, but I want to know whether it would work in my typical performing conditions. First, I typically perform in a long-sleeved shirt, and sometimes wear a vest over that. The shirt is *always* tucked in (in Puck's demo, I notice the shirt is untucked). So my first question about the clothing requirements. Will it work with a tucked-in shirt? With a vest?

Second, is the gimmick/method such that it won't get in my way or be seen by spectators if I perform some other tricks before the Handout Hank and some tricks after in surrounded or nearly-surrounded conditions?

Puck, if you'd be willing to answer these questions I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Jim Wood
Jim Wood
jawood@utep.edu
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
Thanks for your interest. Your tucked in shirt with vest will work fine with Handout Hank. You can also perform all of your other magic without any issues concerning the gimmick. Hope this helps .... thanks!
jamesmwood
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
Hi Puck,

Thanks very much for the info on Handout Hank. It was just what I needed to know. I went ahead and purchased the download from Penguin. Here's my mini-review:

1. Handout Hank is a quick, humorous and magical effect. Quentin Reynolds' "5 Minutes with a Pocket Handkerchief" is one of my go-to tricks. I'm going to incorporate Handout Hank into the beginning of that routine.

2. Handout Hank is practical for walk-around, parlor or stage. Works for children or adults, but the patter will have to be changed depending on the audience. No angle problems, instantly resets. It does require a long-sleeved shirt or jacket. The shirt sleeves can be rolled up a bit, if you like to perform that way.

3. There's a gimmick. It's practical to use, requires no pocket space, and won't get in your way when you're performing other tricks. It's an interesting variation on a gimmick that every magician's familiar with. I had never seen this variation before. Puck gives a little history about it, with acknowledgement to the magician who showed it to him.

4. You have to construct the gimmick, but it's quick to make and requires minimal skill. The materials for the gimmick will cost maybe $5 at an office supply store. As it happens, I already have all the materials in my house.

5. The instructional video is short (15 minutes) and very well taught. Puck is an excellent teacher, very clear and well organized. He walks you through every step of the performance and the construction of the gimmick.

6. The price is very reasonable, considering that this is a highly polished professional routine, with excellent instruction from a leading magician.

7. If you like the effect as shown in the demo, I recommend this trick highly.

Jim Wood
Jim Wood
jawood@utep.edu
puckmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, Florida
260 Posts

Profile of puckmagic
The reviews are in ..... http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/9070
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Handout Hank by Puck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL