The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Johnny Fox Died (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
He was such a great performer. He will be greatly missed for sure.

Gerry
Steve Spill
View Profile
V.I.P.
211 Posts

Profile of Steve Spill
Johnny Fox and I spent spring 1976 on a coast-to-coast busking tour, in San Antonio, I walked down the hill toward the park and saw a huge crowd, maybe a hundred people. As I got closer, I saw Fox making four silver dollars appear, then, one at a time, the coins became invisible, I couldn’t believe the size of the crowd he’d drawn. Johnny had finally done it, the hat was gonna be huge on this one.

As I got even closer, I saw that about ten people were engaged in Fox’s routine, the other ninety people were looking behind Fox, across the street, at a man standing on the roof of a ten-story building. It looked like he was gonna jump, which he did. The juxtaposition between whatever devastating agony might drive a man to suicide, and the simple little surprises and merriment Fox dispensed - made me realize what an important service we magicians offer. People need fun like they need food and water and sleep. Even it’s only for a brief period of time, guys like Johnny could relieve the pain or boredom of everyday life. When audiences experience magic, it’s a sign that maybe the future will hold even more fun. Fun isn’t just fun – it’s hope.
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1183 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Sad news. He was the highlight of the Maryland RenFest.
Bob
RudolfRassen
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of RudolfRassen
Agreed. He was the one person I would see over and over again at the Maryland Renfaire.
manolo
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of manolo
So sad.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2017, steve spill wrote:
Johnny Fox and I spent spring 1976 on a coast-to-coast busking tour, in San Antonio, I walked down the hill toward the park and saw a huge crowd, maybe a hundred people. As I got closer, I saw Fox making four silver dollars appear, then, one at a time, the coins became invisible, I couldn’t believe the size of the crowd he’d drawn. Johnny had finally done it, the hat was gonna be huge on this one.

As I got even closer, I saw that about ten people were engaged in Fox’s routine, the other ninety people were looking behind Fox, across the street, at a man standing on the roof of a ten-story building. It looked like he was gonna jump, which he did. The juxtaposition between whatever devastating agony might drive a man to suicide, and the simple little surprises and merriment Fox dispensed - made me realize what an important service we magicians offer. People need fun like they need food and water and sleep. Even it’s only for a brief period of time, guys like Johnny could relieve the pain or boredom of everyday life. When audiences experience magic, it’s a sign that maybe the future will hold even more fun. Fun isn’t just fun – it’s hope.

Thanks for your post Steve...a reminder that it is not about "US"
I watched some of the many videos of Johnny Fox on youtube. Very entertaining, funny, talented and FUN.
Even though I never met Johnny I feel the loss as well.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Johnny Fox Died (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL