The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Word Up by Vinny Sagoo (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Hey guys,

Today's product announcement is for Word Up by Vinny Sagoo.
This looks really good and very practical.

Magic and Mind-Reading in One Effect!

Word Up is a completely unique effect, whereby the spectator mentally selects a word from a word search that is printed on a plastic card. The word that they are merely thinking of then vanishes. And what's more, it now appears on the back of the card! Your spectator will be literally blown away!

At this point, you can freely hand out the card for examination and show the alternative words.

"A beautiful piece of mentalism with a touch of magic. Very clever indeed."
- Peter Eggink

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=61002

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Looks cool but if your're intention is to "do a trick" then the gig is up. They know something is going to work.

I would rather have it on pieces of paper where you can truly call it a crossword puzzle perhaps you tore out of a book as an experiment.

oh well, who am I? My HO is only worth the hard drive it's typed on.

carry on,
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1355 Posts

Profile of barts185
This is the type of effect where it might work on some people, but anyone that takes a few seconds will realize that the reveal negates the earlier part.

Unless you think that spectators think that you're able to print the word on the back of the piece of plastic on the fly, having the word there means you knew what word they were going to select.

Also, having the name of the trick printed on top of the trick means that anyone that takes 2 seconds to look it up will find it. Even now, over a week before it's even available, typing

word up magic trick

into a search engine comes up with numerous hits for it.

If I were to use this, I would either:

1) (This is probably the only way I would use this.) Read their mind for the word and then stop.

but MAYBE in the right circumstances, like if I was doing bizarre magic, I would:

2) Say that they focused so hard on the word that they actually removed the word from the card with the power of their thoughts.

At no point would I ever reveal that their thought of word is printed on the back of the piece of plastic.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
@barts185 "This is the type of effect where it might work on some people, but anyone that takes a few seconds will realize that the reveal negates the earlier part. "

Yes, I agree the best way to approach this is to use the first part only as a "word force" and to not use the second card. Reveal the force word in a new way.

Review

Title: Word Up
Creator: Vinny Sagoo
Publisher:
MSRP: $ 20
Skill Level: all
DVD Run time:

Magic and Mind-Reading in One Effect! Word Up is a completely unique effect, whereby the spectator mentally selects a word from a word search that is printed on a plastic card. The word that they are merely thinking of then vanishes. And what's more, it now appears on the back of the card! Your spectator will be literally blown away!

At this point, you can freely hand out the card for examination and show the alternative words.

Review link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht6bfYNfSFM

How I perform.

1. Explain that the card is from an old 80's board game called "word up"
2. Have them glimpse the card and get my force word.
3. Do my "switch/dirty work" as I get a sharpie and post-it
4. Stick the post it to the card and have them write the force word on the post-it
5. Attempt to guess the word using incorrect letters
6. In confusion ask them what the word they picked was ... they reveal
7. I explain that - that can't be the word because the card I'm using is a defective game card where one word was accidentally printed on the back
8. They peel the post-it back themselves and reveal
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1693 Posts

Profile of The Duster
I saw this on Saturn pre release and was excited to see it

I watched the trailer and hated it

It's the worse kind of mentalism 'trick'

Now to hear ppl say it will work if you just do this or that part... so a bad release just needs to be adapted? But the creator is clueless and shouldn't bring out such a badly thought out effect in the first place

Maybe I'm being harsh

Maybe it's a magicians trick for amateurs to impress their mates down the pub?

Anyway I hated this release

I don't have it so take this with a pinch of salt

Maybe buy it and change the routine, and the props... hmm
rboyd
View Profile
New user
Devon
81 Posts

Profile of rboyd
Thanks for the reviews. I was seriously considering getting this however I am glad I held off.

Our of cjriosity, with forces such as this so you ever get always people who choose a different word, if so how do you deal with this?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2178 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
It's covered in the video how to keep the person from selecting a different word. It's never happened to me with my presentation.
aheller5
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of aheller5
Where can we purchase word up
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
A brief internet search suggests it's out of stock on many sites. But it's a great effect and Vinny is the nicest guy in the business.
leipzisch
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Word Up by Vinny Sagoo (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL