The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Kellar, front or back? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Hello lovely people,

I have a sort of silly question for y'all. I apologize for not searching for it, but not sure how to specifically look for this.
I have a terminology question about the Kellar rope tie.

I recently brushed off my kellar rope tie routine for some friends and family, and for a magic class that I taught. It's been so much fun I'm thinking that it should either be incorporated into my kid/family show, or at least as an encore.

In preparing for the class I thought I would look up some other performers routines and I noticed that while many of them did a very similar effect, they all seem to have their hands tied behind their back. I can do it that way of course, but I have always done it with both hands in front (wrists together and hands facing the same way) like the Siberian chain escape.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling, that's the question:
Is it still the Kellar rope tie if my hands are in the front and point the same direction?
If not, is there a different name for this?

Thanks so much! Smile
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Hands behind allows for certain gags in the routine. Example, tapping the volunteer on the shoulder, then showing him you are still tied up.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Yes, I agree, that's the most important part.

I do it with a handkerchief or jacket over my wrists, so I can do most of the same gags.
I keep taking my hand out, showing three fingers and explaining that I used to be able to do it in just three seconds, then have the knots re-examined because we haven't started. In the end I apologize, say I can't do the trick after all and just take the rope off and throw it in my bag.
I assume this is one of the standard variations right?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Back is Kellar.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The (very) late Karland Frischkorn of Norfolk, VA, did the KELLAR TIE, surrounded (or at least with people on the side).

He carried a short black velvet cape which was long enough to go about 4" below his belt line!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Kellar, front or back? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL