The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » So much for my ego... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
I'm not much a sleight of hand guy. I know the basics, but I'm not really confident in my abilities on any advanced moves. So today I was practicing my two-for-three count and it fooled the hell out of my three year old daughter, so I thought maybe I was there. Then I decided to try it on my five year old daughter. "Alright," I said, "this is a trick with four cards... one, two, three, four..."

"No it's not!" she interjected. "That's two cards, you're just moving them around in your hands. Let me show you..." and she pulled the cards out of my hand.

So... yeah, I may not be ready for prime time on this one yet, lol. Though in fairness to me, I've taught my daughter some basic magic (french drop, two card monte, etc) and I encourage her to think critically about magic tricks, so I may just be doing too good of a job with that, haha.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Does a routine where you start with some four as four counts work?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2018, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Does a routine where you start with some four as four counts work?

Well, I guess I don't really know since I can't seem to get it right to try, lol. But I'm trying to learn a Jay Sankey routine (I already forget what it's called) where you seemingly take all four aces out of the deck, then one by one they transport to the middle of the deck.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There are lots of ways to display and count four cards. At the moment I'm trying Bob Farmer's Spiritu count which "feels" completely wrong and difficult to practice from muscle memory while watching the mirror but ... if it works - wow Smile

So you're on a hot topic about what audiences accept as counting the cards.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
This is a dumb question: but are the cards face-up or face-down? The first routine I ever learned with the Elmsley was Jazz Aces, but I was so worried my audiences would notice the discrepancy with the cards remaining in my hand that I substituted four jokers for the four kings.

(This is the same reason I never learned Paul Harris' Reset; I was just too scared people would notice the Jack suits. Then I was lucky enough to find some Malaysian-made decks that came with four jokers; the jokers were four different cartoony Samurai warriors, but they looked so unusual that if I counted them upside down they would fly right by....)

Anyway... if your daughter is busting you on a 2-for-4 with face-up cards, you shouldn't be concerned.
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2018, JoeHohman wrote:
This is a dumb question: but are the cards face-up or face-down? The first routine I ever learned with the Elmsley was Jazz Aces, but I was so worried my audiences would notice the discrepancy with the cards remaining in my hand that I substituted four jokers for the four kings.

(This is the same reason I never learned Paul Harris' Reset; I was just too scared people would notice the Jack suits. Then I was lucky enough to find some Malaysian-made decks that came with four jokers; the jokers were four different cartoony Samurai warriors, but they looked so unusual that if I counted them upside down they would fly right by....)

Anyway... if your daughter is busting you on a 2-for-4 with face-up cards, you shouldn't be concerned.

I wish! But no, they were face down, haha. Still working on it, though.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
676 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
It's pretty hard to pass just two cards off as four
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » So much for my ego... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL