The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Levitating silk (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nejuta
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Nejuta
Hello fellow magicians.
I have a musical act with productions and vanishes. And one of the parts is a candle to silk transformation.One thing I want to add it is -accidental drop silk onto the floor and then levitate it back to my hand.
I'm lost in thoughts how to levitate silk from the floor back to my hand.
IT (tarantula) and maybe reel come to mind BUT how to do that more convenient and correct (loads, preparations)?
Here is the link below with silk part where I want to add "levitating silk".
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=4ZbvlFG7H-4

I hope some of you share with ideas.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You link is not working for some reason.

This is an old gag that a few magicians have successfully performed over the years. It not levitating silk.

I have never found the working for this in any books I have in my library, and those that do it, have not shared their methods that they developed, as they are usually varied by each performer.

Most look like a reel, but that is only a guess. The cheapest ways is just to use the Dollar snatch novelty gag reel, sold at most gag stores.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I agree with Bill. The cheap novelty dollar snatch reel, would be the simplest method.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The problem with using any type of reel for this is that you are limited to the thickness (and visibility) of thread that is used in the reel, and while it is possible with some reels to rewind them with your own choice of thread, you'll never be able to use truly invisible thread without a lot of breakage. A better and more gentle solution is to use a simple weight and pulley system which can use really invisible thread. Let's say you have a table or a microphone stand next to the spot where you are performing. The simple pulley (which can be made from a plastic coffee stir tube or straw) is attached to the support. Next to it is attached a camouflaged weight on one end of the thread, capable of lifting the silk from the floor when it is dropped. On the other end of the thread is the silk. Drop the silk and down it floats, gently as it should. It stays on the floor until you notice it, and then you need a simple move to release the weight, which drops to the floor behind the table leg or microphone stand, drawing the silk back up to where you can snatch it and disconnect the thread to free it for use as a plain silk handkerchief. The only problem you need to solve, based on your silk act which you have not described, is when and how to attach the silk to the other end of the thread to start the journey down and back again. This can be solved magnetically, or with Velcro or even sticky double sided tape.

Think like a magician, not a consumer of magic store products.
Nejuta
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Nejuta
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I fixed the issue.
Nejuta
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Nejuta
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, jimgerrish wrote:
based on your silk act which you have not described, is when and how to attach the silk to the other end of the thread to start the journey down and back again. This can be solved magnetically, or with Velcro or even sticky double sided tape.

Thanks for detailed explanation. And try watch video again that I posted above.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The video issue is still not fixed.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I suspect this is the correct link that Nejuta was trying to post, based on the last part of the code (in his bad link):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZbvlFG7H-4

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Don't do that "silk around neck" thing. Unless you can do it better than that. Doing the silk drop with only one silk is not going to look accidental. Wait until you have more silks going. Maybe juggle three silks and then drop number four when it appears. It needs to look like an "accident" so it will make the point that magicians don't have "accidents" when the silk levitates back up and into the act again. That's the humor of it and will get applause if you do it correctly.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, Nejuta wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:

I fixed the issue.

No, the link still goes to my YouTube account. If you fixed it, you then need to post the correct web address again.

I do not see any levitating or jumping silk in Donald's reference. We must be having a language barrier problem.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Bill, Donalds link is the correct link. The original poster just had a mistake in his link. Donald didn't mention a levitation because the video is showing the act as it exists now.

Nejuta, I agree with Jim. Drop the silk through neck routine. It doesn't add anything to the routine and isn't performed smoothly. I like the candle to silk but you'll have a hard time "accidentally" dropping that silk. Follow Jim's advise again and incorporate the drop into a part of you routing that has multiple silks
Where the magic begins
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
So the video was edited and the silk drop was removed?

I was at an IBM convention once, and the young performer did have a silk dropped, and it did not look out place. His was unusual, as the silk seemed to respond to his guester, the silk looked like it was trying to jump/leap a couple times, like when a person does, when getting ready for a jump. Then the silk traveled up to his hand. It was priceless and got an excellent response from audience.

Most would think that spoiled the effect, but it actually enhanced the effect, and gave a tell tail, but it did not because of final leap. That is how I seen it anyway.

That was many many years ago, and I still can see it today. I was very impressed. After the show this young man has a following all over the convention.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2018, Bill Hegbli wrote:
So the video was edited and the silk drop was removed?

From the original post, Nejuta says that he has not added a silk drop & levitation into his show yet, and is asking for help on how to create it / execute it.

Quote:
Nejuta: I have a musical act with productions and vanishes. And one of the parts is a candle to silk transformation.One thing I want to add it is -accidental drop silk onto the floor and then levitate it back to my hand.
I'm lost in thoughts how to levitate silk from the floor back to my hand.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Donald for the clarification, makes sense now.

Probably can be done after the candle vanish, but Nejuta would have to work that out for himself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Levitating silk (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL