The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic shops in Bali, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Ho Chi Minh City (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
In case somebody stumbles across this thread using the search function, I thought I'd provide some up-to-date info about the magic shops in the following locations:

Bali, Indonesia
Magic Happen (located in Denpasar) - The shop is currently still operating and active. You walk through a garage-type area and up a set of stairs in the back. The shop is small but has a wide variety of magic-related items. I was surprised by the variety of playing cards that were in stock. However, the shop does not currently carry any regular Bicycle playing cards (but has MANY of the Bicycle novelty decks, among others). Yudist Ardhana works around the shop. He has 650,000+ youtube subscribers. He has a lively personality and is a very pleasant person. The shop is worth visiting.

Gimmick Magic Shop (located inside Terminal 21 mall, Bangkok) - This is NOT a typical magic shop and does not contain magician-related items. Skip it.

Ohho Magic Shop (Bangkok, Thailand)- Despite their facebook reviews, google reviews, and being mentioned on a few other forums, this magic shop is no longer a brick & mortar location. It is now an online-only magic shop. Upon arriving, the store was locked and an endless amount of boxes could be seen through the glass. Fortunately, a relative of the shop's owner saw us looking and called the owner on her phone. The owner speaks english and we were able to tell him what we were looking to purchase. He translated our requests to the lady, she went in the store and retrieved the products, and we were able to pay her. For now, skip this location. It's not a brick & mortar shop anymore.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Prostar Magic Shop (Chiang Mai) - This shop is currently active and open. It is located near the infamous "old town" square in Chiang Mai, Thailand. If you've visited any magic shops in western countries, this shop won't impress you. The products seemed to be lower quality, cheap, and not worth purchasing. The shop had a lot of cheaply made dvds for sale. The dvds didn't appear to be knockoffs, but were definitely extremely low quality and "homemade." However, the shop is worth visiting due to its super convenient location. If you're in Chiang Mai, you should visit it since you'll probably pass it anyways. Maybe you'll find a diamond in the rough.

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
7aothuat (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam) - This shop is DEFINITELY worth visiting. It's a quality magic shop for asian standards. When you arrive in the area, you won't immediately see the shop. You'll probably have to ask a local how to find it. You go down a small alley-type road, enter thru a large metal gate that appears to be a driveway entrance, and then you must knock on the door of the house. It'll make sense when you arrive.

The shop is small but worth a visit. You'll be disappointed if you're looking for coin magic products. China-made, limited options, and few things that will peak your interest. But you'll be VERY happy if you're looking for a good selection of quality playing cards. They had every deck of cards that I could imagine. As expected, the shop prices were extremely reasonable. The prices of normal decks of cards (Tally Ho, Bicycle, Bee, etc) were approximately the same price as American prices. I purchased a beautiful coin purse for 30k dong (VERY cheap). The shop worker was a little shy but when he loosened up a little, he let his skills with a pack of playing cards shine. I suspect you'll be the only person visiting the shop when you go. But it's well worth a visit.

-------------------------------

I hope this info helps somebody in the future! And of course, be careful about cultural norms and local laws. Money magic is not appropriate in Thailand, laws limiting the possession of playing cards exist in many places, etc. Just be smart Smile

AsL
liamwilson1125
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of liamwilson1125
Just a quick tip for anyone who would like to visit magic shops in Viet Nam.

- Vietnamese magic community usually hangs out and sells stuff much more than working as physical stores.

- Another magic shop to visit would be Street.vn (in Ha Noi, they even have a coffee shop named Dai Vernon). The crew behind this did invite some great names to come, like Shoot Ogawa, Patrick Kun...Joshua Jay also came here once.
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On Dec 31, 2018, liamwilson1125 wrote:
Just a quick tip for anyone who would like to visit magic shops in Viet Nam.

- Vietnamese magic community usually hangs out and sells stuff much more than working as physical stores.

- Another magic shop to visit would be Street.vn (in Ha Noi, they even have a coffee shop named Dai Vernon). The crew behind this did invite some great names to come, like Shoot Ogawa, Patrick Kun...Joshua Jay also came here once.

I didn't occur to me that I should check for magic shops when I was in Hanoi. Ouch Smile

I'll be back soon tho!
AsL
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of AsL
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Illusionist Magic Shop - The shop is currently still open and operating. If I'm not mistaken, it's currently the only legitimate magic shop in Sri Lanka. The owner is very nice, speaks fluent English, and will happily answer your questions. Since the shop is in a residential neighborhood and connected to a house (not near any touristy areas), call before you go to make sure it's open. When you arrive, you'll arrive at the end of a dirt road cul de sac; the shop will be on the right (a house with a big gated fence). The owner has a full-time job and operates the shop on most Fridays and weekends as a hobby. Limited book selection. A decent selection o quality playing cards. In comparison to many shops in Southeast Asia, this magic shop in Sri Lanka is superior.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The marquee says... » » Magic shops in Bali, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Ho Chi Minh City (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL