The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Setup for projecting closeup magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
My local magic club is looking for a setup for projecting magic performances. We don't own the space where we meet, so everything needs to be portable. Wifi is spotty. I'm thinking:

• Portable screen to hang on wall
  • Short-throw projector to get a large image at a short distance
  • Bluetooth dongle to connect camera to projector
  • Phone used as camera

Any technical folk have advice, recommendations or cautions?
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
What screen size? How many inches. Too many products to list.

Which phone Android or IPhone? A few solutions for each.

Forget about the Bluetooth dongle.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
We're planning to use a portable screen that we hand on the wall -- probably 100"

I'd like something that can work with both Android and IOS.

As for the Bluetooth dongle, I'd really like to avoid running a cable from camera to projector, and the existing WiFi is just too slow and unreliable. I wonder if an alternative might be a projector or an attachment that created its own ad hoc wireless network. That way the house WiFi doesn't matter. I figure camera and projector will be within 30 feet of each other, so ad hoc WiFi might do the job.

I really should have been more clear with my question. And once I know the technology to choose I feel comfortable with product selection. Here's what I'm really wondering:

1. Do any of you have experience sending to a projector wirelessly?
2. Do any of you have experience doing it without WiFi?
3. If you answered "yes" to #1 or #2, can you tell me what's working for you?
Terry Pratchett
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
Https://www.airserver.com/

Airserver (PC or Mac), buy a portable wifi router, connect a laptop to wifi and phone to wifi.

Laptop video signal HDMI out to projector.

projector screen can just be white lycra.

Another solution is a large TV, with a Amazon FireStick hdmi, wifi router and buy a mirroring app thru Amazon app store.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Thanks for these helpful ideas. Keep 'em coming people!
Terry Pratchett
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
Forgot to add:

https://www.stretchshapes.net/product-ca......screens/

With some PVC pipes
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
The stretch shapes thing is very cool. Thanks for sharing that.

Airserver looks cool, but it looks like we'd need to run server software on a PC or Mac, and I'm hoping for a laptop-free solution.
Terry Pratchett
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I think I have a workable solution, but I’ll appreciate any additional advice, warnings or suggested substitutions.

Screen: Owlenz 100-inch Projection Screen 16:9 HD Foldable Anti-crease Portable Projector Screen. It costs $31. It weighs two pounds. We can stick it on a wall with thumbtacks. Handles rear projection as well as front.

Projector: BenQ MW632ST 3,200 ANSI Lumen Colorific MHL DLP Projector. Short-throw lens so it doesn’t have to be far from the screen. Nice and bright (for price range) so it will stand up to some ambient light. You can plug a lot of different stuff into it. Includes a powered USB port.

Projector accessory: Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 Wireless Display Receiver. This adds more wireless capacity to the projector. Can be powered by the projector. Doesn’t need WiFi – it creates its own ad hoc WiFi hotspot devices can connect to.

Camera: Don’t need one. Just need pretty much any Android device with video capability.

Thoughts?
Terry Pratchett
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of gothike
Doug,

Actiontec ScreenBeam Mini2 looks like it would work. Similar to the Amazon Stick I mentioned above but with WIFI built.

However HDMI has many specifications and versions, so your projector and the ActionTec should have similar or backwards compatible HDMI ports.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Also the range of the Wifi will be limited in the Actiontec with the internal antenna. Which is why I suggested a wifi router with large antenna's and possible custom firmware like dd-wrt to maximize performance.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Very helpful. Thanks.
Terry Pratchett
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
284 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
You will need some way to stabilize the camera. A tripod designed for overhead video capturing with a mounting bracket for a smartphone might do the trick, or a gymbal (sp?) For a smartphone if the performers have an assistant to take the video.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I think I found a better dongle. It's the It’s the Innens 2.4G / 5G WiFi Display Dongle. It's $20 more than the one I was looking at, but it will let us connect both Android phones and iPhones. The one mentioned above didn't support iPhones.
Terry Pratchett
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Setup for projecting closeup magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL