The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » One last thing about David Blaine, don't just skip this either (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ember
View Profile
Regular user
London
121 Posts

Profile of Ember
MagicAces

Got to agree with most of what you said. The only bit that confuses me is about attribution of tricks to rightful inventors.

While when writing it is now considered ethical to attribute to original creators I don't see the relevance of this to performance. 90% of what I perform is not mine but I don't credit Ortiz, Jennings, Berger etc in my presentations. As far as the audience is concerned the effect is mine and I'm sure that most other people want the magic they perform to be perceived that way as well.

The fact that other people might credit something to David Blaine is not his fault, and just because he is on TV or famous does not mean he should be expected to confirm to an ideal/position that we don't ourselves.
TricksDaniel
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola,FL
248 Posts

Profile of TricksDaniel
I agree with a lot that everyone is saying. It is good that DB did strike an interest into a lot of people with his magic. But,I do think that a lot of the tricks he does and the ones people are buying has taken a lot of the classics away. Lay people now know how this or that is done. It does have one positive outcome. We must come up with bigger and better tricks to fool the laymen.Just my thought.
Owner DC_ILLUSIONS
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Well what david blaine did, had somehow help and hurt the art of magic. but I respect him more than this masked magician.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Ah, right. Glad I didn't skip this thread, per your instructions. None of this has ever been said before about Blaine!

Come on, people! Like him or hate him, you are doing the very thing he has wanted us to do all along... to talk about him!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Grego78
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Grego78
I didn't read all the replys in this thread, but I can tell you that I'm very very new to magic and it was David Blaine that got me interested. I think that David has made it cool to be a magician, where before him I thought of magicians as old men with dickie bow ties and coloured silks. After studying all David's specials many times I've become obsessed with card magic. I think it's the fact that David's stuff showed that with practice, you can impress girls or anyone, any race or religion just by walking up to them and showing them a card effect. (By the way, can anyone tell me the best way to learn card techniques? I have been trying with 3 ebooks I bought,but I'm getting so confused with the instructions.

Also, It's more than the street tricks, I am deeply interesed in the endurance stunts and the experimenting with the human mind that he does. I relate to his passion for testing the human mind and body to the extreme. I really don't think you should put Blaine in the catagory of just street magician. He's a lot more: (Try performance artist)
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
YOU CALL STANDING ON 50FT POOL FOR LIKE 3 DAYS WHILE BRITS CURSED AND THREW FOOD AT HIM MAGIC

BUT, he did bring magic back to star life again
KillerMagic
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of KillerMagic
Just stop dissing David. He is one of the best. He spends so much time practicing and has dedicated his life to his magic and stunts. Read his book and you will know the reall David. I know that he has not made all those sites and debates he does magic and does not want all this debate I know this for a fact.
The best tool for learning is.... Experience!
Blainemagic
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Blainemagic
Thank you finally someone who cares.
the best tool for learning is... Experience
http://www.freewebs.com/killermagic24/
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
KillerMagic and Blainemagic. It's fine that you guys are just starting magic, and there are many new magicians who think that Blaine is the greatest thing since the Elmsley Count, but hey, NO!

Blaine is by no means "one of the best." His double lift is more dicey then Emeril's newest concoction, and his presention lacks, well, presentation.

And KillerMagic, his book is lies. Just lies.

So to all the Blainiacs out there who refuse to believe what those more experienced tell them:

"No. Just--no."

Sigh...

You guys are the same person, aren't you?
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
Lol, they are the same people. His book is a lie, the historical part was nice, but guessing cards til he got it correct? Yea, right...
prospero
View Profile
Special user
Elsewhere
572 Posts

Profile of prospero
It's sad when people make up alter egos just to corroborate their own opinions...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » One last thing about David Blaine, don't just skip this either (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL